Community > Cycle Tours

A little trip across Iceland

(1/3) > >>

Magnus:
I thought I'd share with you all a little trip - actually two trips - across the Icelandic Highlands.  

I was originally planning to ride north, as far as I could and then back south to Reykjavik, but I had a bit of a slip on my second day.  I managed to bang my ankle on a big rock and it swelled up enough to making wearing my boots uncomfortable.  So, instead of riding across the highlands I took a service road, that follows a large powerline, and spent a day or so bouncing up and down over large rocks and wading across several rivers.  A few days later, when my ankle didn't hurt too much anymore, I took the bus north to the largest town in that part of the country, Akureyri, and rode south over the highlands.  The trip took five days and showed me parts of the country I live in that I had never seen before.

First trip:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150263556849389.330677.597284388&l=d7251409e6&type=1

Second trip:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150263564379389.330687.597284388&l=f5a704c00b&type=1

The bike, as you can see, is a Thorn Raven Tour, with Thorn rear racks and low loaders, Ortlieb panniers and handlebar bag.  I used Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 2.25 - I would recommend something like those for that kind of terrain.  The bike performed perfectly - it's just my legs that weren't up to some portions of the route.  ;)

Magnus Thor
Iceland

energyman:
Magic - Thanks for the photos.

strictnaturist:
What a fantastic trip! One I dream of. There is nothing better on this forum than hearing/seeing of thorn owners expeditions in to the the world. Thats why we by these bikes. They are dream machines.
Enjoy the last of the summer.
Strictnaturist  8)

jags:
great pic's that looks like a tough tour fair play to you guys . ;)

Hamish:
That looks like perfect cycling country.  I would love to tour in Iceland. 

Didn't you used to have a Catalyst?  I recently changed my Catalyst for a RT almost exactly the same as yours.  I like the Raven Tour can't work out which I prefer ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version