Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

Anybody ride sportives or similar?

(1/4) > >>

neil_p:
Last year I got into road sportives... which I have really enjoyed.  The ones I have ridden are not always the most friendly of events... although the fact I'm on a Thorn with 26" wheels does seem to rub people up the wrong way!

Anyone else found this? Any alternatives to Sportives for competitve and friendly people?  :)

Fred A-M:
Neil,

I've never done either, though from what I understand, Audax are (largely) non-competitive endurance rides where the general ambience is a little more relaxed and accepting - people do Audax on all types of bikes.  Try googling the Audax UK website.

Fred

neil_p:
Cheers, I'll take a look at that. I really like the sportive concept - mapped out ride, timing, being surrounded by fellow riders.... but I like to have a bit of friendly banter... and it's like trying to get blood out of a stone sometimes!  :)

cake:
I've ridden about ten audax rides, Neil, and they suit me down to the ground.

There is a minimum and maximum average speed limit - this stops it becoming an out and out race.  The distances vary and include 50,100,150,200,300,400,600km up to whatever you care to undertake!

The routes are predetermined with either a routesheet and/or gpx file for you to follow.

If you want to chat, you can chat, if you prefer a bit of peace and quiet (like myself) then that is fine - it is all very relaxed.

People ride in groups that arise out of knowing their fellow riders or by virtue of riding at the same pace - and then sit and stuff themselves at the various available controls!

Similarly, you get others (again like myself) who prefer to ride on their own, and just have a quick chat with a passing rider.  All very relaxed.

You get every type of two wheeled machine available - £20 skip bike to £2000 carbon racing machine.  I haven't come across any snobbery regarding bikes.

As Fred says, have a look at the Audax UK website - all the info is there.  There will be an event there that will challenge you, if that's what you want!  And, even better, they are cheap to enter (£4 -£7 generally).

Frederred may chime in at some point - i should imagine he is quite the veteran Randonneur by now!

Gary.

Oh, apologies if know all about them already...

neil_p:
I'm a complete novice re Audax... so will have a good read. 600km!?!?!?! how long do you have to do that? Surely not all in one go!?!?!?  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version