Technical > General Technical

Fitting Mudguards for RST

(1/4) > >>

Fred A-M:
Does anyone else have experience of trying to fit mudguards for the Sport Tour?

I bought 26" P55s on the advice of SJS cycles who advised that if I bought these, I could avoid the faff of drilling holes in the mudguards. 

However, I've since discovered that this isn't the case and not only this, but seemingly you have to file off the fork bracket on the front mudguard otherwise it hangs too low - all in all a bit of a nightmare given I'm probably not the best when it comes to improvised DIY - even the sales guy at SJS acknowledged he wouldn't want to do this himself.   

Has anyone done this and what have they used? - I have a hack saw but assume that this would result in considerable disfiguration to the mudguard!?

Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/blogs/?article_id=blog

bobs:
Hi Fred,

I drilled out the rivets which hold the bracket. This leaves a slot which is covered up you then have to drill a hole so the you can fit it with a bolt to one of the holes under the fork crown.

The rear requires 2 holes drilled, one at the bottom of the mudguard at the chainstay bridge and another at the seatstay bridge and these are then bolted.

It is a lot simpler to do than describe.

Bob

Fred A-M:
Cheers Bob, drilling out the rivets as per your suggestion worked a treat, much appreciated -much to my surprise, I didn't make a total botch of it and looks very neat.   

However, the rest of the fitting process has been a somewhat trying process of trial and error  :P, to be resumed tomorrow due to lack of light.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use / how to best cut the mudguard stays to required length?

Thanks, Fred

bobs:
Fred,

do you have a Thorn rack?  Otherwise a cheap £1 hacksaw from Asda.

Bob

Fred A-M:
Thanks again Bobs, a real help - I have a £1 hacksaw somewhere, from Woolworths I think!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version