Private Classified > Wanted

strong touring rack(s)

(1/4) > >>

lemongrass:
I'm looking for a front (low or high rider) rack, actually I'd like one of each for myself and my girlfriend, and one rear rack. I'm not altogether set on steel, mostly for price reasons, so good quality aluminium ones would do as well.

Thanks

ThousandYardStare:
Racks really are one of the few things I've learnt from experience not to scrimp on- Particularly the rear one- unless you're carrying fairly light loads. Thorn's Expedition should last a lifetime and is really well priced compared to the competition (Tubus Cargo/Logo, Surly Nice Rack, etc)- Although it might be overkill for some purposes.

Where are you planning to tour? On good roads, with lightish loads, you might get away with a twenty-odd quid alu effort. Have a good look at the welding before you buy though, if at all possible... some look so fragile they'd struggle to get you to the shops and back. I had a Bor Yueh set five or so years ago which were very cheap but surprisingly well made. They survived a couple of tours intact on good roads, but I wouldn't exactly trust them for the Congo or somewhere.

Blackburn make cheaper alu ones and used to be widely popular, but apparently the quality's gone down in recent years. I managed to kill one on a short Morrocan tour a couple of years ago, and the roads weren't even that bad.

lemongrass:
Thanks for the reply. It's for serious long distance cycling on the silk route, so the roads wouldn't be smooth by any means. If I could get a high quality aluminium rack for 50 or so I'd be happy, but the jump seems to be a 20 quid sorry affair to a 100+ steel job. Where are Bor Yeuh racks available? I went on their website and couldn't find dealers outside China or the U.S.

b1ke:
SJS have currently got some of the Thorn Expedition rear racks on ebay for £39.99 delivered. They've got some blemishes, although I bought one and it still looks great. Only 3 left now and not much pricier than an aluminium one.

b1ke:
PS. Here's the link --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150550653598&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3434wt_1066

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version