Technical > General Technical

Rohloff shifting issues

(1/3) > >>

wazzo:
Has anyone had any problems with Rohloff shifting in gears 8 to 9, and from 10 to 9? I bought a custom bike earlier this with a Rohloff hub and I absolutely love it! I probably have about 2,000 miles on it and it has been flawless except for the shifting issue. From everything I've read, the hub gets better and smoother after it gets some miles on it, so I was hoping things would just "wear in".  The problem is that on the shifts mentioned, it is a very hard shift. It always shifts, but there is definitely a lot more tension shifting in that one area. The other issue is that I'm in the U.S. and people look at Rohloffs as if they are from another planet, and I haven't found anyone who has any experience with them. My local bike shop stands behind it and is willing to fix it but they just don't know how. If anyone has experienced anything like this I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Wazzo

expr:
Hi Wazzo,

the best advice that I could give at the moment given the problems you are having and possibly not yet having Had service, would be to buy the oil change kit and give the hub an oil change paying particular attention to the cleaning oil part and may be extending the time a little that it remains in the hub, ie , turn the bike upside down and go through the gears particularly 3-5 for a good 15-20 minutes or take the bike out for a ride constantly shifting through the gears.

What has happened in the past, and you are not the first, is that small fragments from the machining process bedding in etc are caught in the gears which cause exactly the symptoms that you are experiencing, sometimes on fewer occasions there is a fault with the hub and it has to go back to germany which will be covered if you have the warranty card, also you can check the shifting cable going in to the hub itself its not likely to be this but worth checking that there is no fraying on the cable if you have that type of changer or if you have an external box, then check the gears inside have no fouling on themin the (9) gear position.

I,m not sure but thought there was a rohloff dealer out there in the states.

Ive just had a quick look and bloomington, Albany, and santa Fe. have distributors for Rohloff.

Dave.

julk:
Wazzo,

An oil change, or even two, can only do good to help flush out any running in bits. I had some similar problems with my first Rohloff and two oil changes did the trick for me.

In North America Cycle Monkey are worth contacting.
Julian.

wazzo:
Thank you guys, I've passed on your information to my LBS and I'm confident it will be an easy fix for them now. I really appreciate the feedback. As I've said, Rohloffs are a bit of a novelty over here, so the bike mechanics are just inexperienced with any repair work.
I'll let you know how things turn out.

tandemman:
I had a similar shifting problem on my 5 year old but low mileage hub. In November.
 I e-mailed Rohloff in Germany, sent them the hub as instructed and recieved the hub back, post free with no cost for repair either within one week. Hub now shifts perfectly.
To say I am delighted with the service is a complete understatement.
During the week it was away I recieved e-mails from Rohloff updating me with progress.
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version