Author Topic: What's your heart beat (bpm) rate when cycling?  (Read 2538 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
What's your heart beat (bpm) rate when cycling?
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:55:01 pm »
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a computer for my forthcoming Audax and I see nowadays you can get some that pick up your heart beat.

Now, I'm quite interested in this kind of thing.  I'm a regular runner and sometimes when I run on a treadmill I'll check my heart beat from time to time.  I find that when I'm running at "race pace" my heart beat is easily 170+bpm. For my age I know its on the high side of normal aerobic exercise; my Doctor says its the maximum for my age and OK providing I "don't over do it too much".  I just love that runners high feeling, especially following that sprint finish in the last 2 or 3 minutes!

So, for people who cycle wearing heart rate monitors, what is your hearts' bpm under normal or fast conditions?  What is it like when your struggling up a steep hill heaving down on the pedals? 

Or, more generally, do heart rate monitors work for cyclists, or is it just a runners thing?

Thanks once again...

http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

julk

Re: What's your heart beat (bpm) rate when cycling?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:10:25 pm »
I find it useful to wear a heart rate monitor whilst on tour and use a Cateye V3 bike computer.

I am 64 with raised blood pressure, I usually keep my heart rate between 90 and 130 whilst cycling.

Riding up a steep hill with a fully laden touring bike, I get off and walk before my heart rate reaches 140.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:09:44 pm »
I have a Nike HRM - the detector/transmitter on my chest, the receiver on my wrist. I use it most commonly when I walk. I like to target around 130 bpm - I'm 55 and that seems like a nice rate for taking off pounds and nice steady exercise.

Sometimes I wear it when I am cycling but I find my rate almost never goes below 140 and is often in the 150-160 range. I don't often go over 170. We have plenty of hills around here and even with the Rohloff in gear 1, with my 38 tooth chainring and 16 tooth sprocket, I still end up stopping to catch my breath on the nastiest slope. I should bring my HRM on some of those hills just to get a sense of my limits.

Anyway, I find it's practically impossible for me to get my HR down to my target, so I don't bring it along in general. Maybe when I get a lot stronger... or when I move to flatter country!

Jim

mateusz

• My cycling webpage
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
Another device I love is a GPS equipped Nokia + free Sports Tracker application + compatible bluetooth HR belt (they sell it from their page).
I hope links to individual excercises work without logging in; for HR chart see e.g http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Mateusz/egktkdgmeoptqsps (brisk cycle back from work). Shame Ii did not have the HR belt at some of my Ladakh trips (http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Mateusz/cfgsnaglhl5fak0g , the altitude chart is real!)
Happy owner of a Thorn Trident and a self-made kiddyback tandem

Yehuwdiy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:08:51 am »
I generally poodle alonge with  HR between 120-140. even on big climbs I stay within this limit as I down-gear and twiddle away rather than pushing it. If I take it much above this then all-day riding becomes a 10 minute ride :(

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:07 am »
Useful replies, thanks everyone.  I decided against a heart rate monitor in the end, partly because I'd need to stop and put my glasses on to see what it says and I hate wearing them!  Another example of being in middle age denial?  I decided to get one of those relatively simple Cateye computers to keep track of mileages.  I can see the speed OK when I'm cycling, but not the secondary info.

With heart rates, I guess I'm applying a few tips I've picked up from running and applying them in my cycling.  Firstly through using a HRM on a treadmill in the gym I have a reasonable way of knowing what by heart rate is likely to be according to how out of breath I am.  So, if I'm running at, say, a 6% angle briskly and panting, I know that my heart rate is probably as I high as I should go for too long (180bpm).  If I can hold a conversation without too much difficulty, that's fine and probably around 150bpm and good to keep that going for as long as I want to.  Having short bursts at a high rate is like interval training and this has proved really helpful in keeping in reasonable shape.

Applying this to cycling has made quite a change.  I now regard going up hill as an opportunity for some interval training, rather than either avoiding them or gently winding my way up in a low gear.  Most hills around here aren't too big or steep but one or two take a good 10 minutes to reach the top - so it's ideal for me ol' ticker!
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling