Author Topic: First Ride on Studded Tyres!  (Read 1897 times)

farmer palmer

First Ride on Studded Tyres!
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:47:36 pm »
I'm impressed so far.......!

The Sherpa is hanging up nice and warm in my shed so i've fitted some winter tyres to my MTB.

I've fitted Continental Spike Claw 120's to my Trek 6000 and what a difference compared to the stock Bontragers. I've inflated the spike claws to 50psi to bed them in on tarmac and now i've reduced the pressure quite a bit and the grip is very good on the hard packed snow and ice on our farm roads.

The rolling resistance is very high but the grip seems to be good and confidence inspiring compared to the low rolling resistance knobblies fitted as standard to the Trek.

I've done a few hard brake tests on the tractor tyre packed ice and there seems to be a lot of grip before the tyres let go. Gentle braking should  keep things under control and i'm looking forward to using these tyres over the winter. Traction when pedalling uphill on ice seems good too if I keep my weight back over the rear tyre a bit.

I did wonder if I should have fitted the 240 stud tyre to the front but I guess I'll see how the 120s perform as i'm hoping there won't be 'too' much ice and a bit more mud soon.

FP.

farmer palmer

Re: First Ride on Studded Tyres!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:06:20 pm »
Studded tyres haven't been fitted yet this year as we've had no snow...........Yet!

I did think about fitting them again last night when I was mending a puncture but it'd be a waste to put them on and wear them out on tarmac.

FP.