Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109861 times)

jahwalla

Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 04:35:41 pm »
yes keep them coming Jim!

good to see another time atac user. There's more than just Spd to make the world go round.

cheers

Jos

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »
Yes, I moved those Time ATAC pedals off my Trek 520. They've worked great for me - why give them up!

Today's ride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/51199030/

Route 28 is one of the main roads through the Catskills, southeast to northwest. The stretch I was on follows the Esopus Creek - a big wide valley. At one point there today, about maybe a quarter mile ahead of me, with quite a bit of traffic on the highway, I saw a big black bear just tear across the road, really flying. I'd heard it before, but now I have seen it - those animals can really move fast! Glad it was plenty far away!

This is at the top of Piney Point hill, the high point of my ride today. I have yet to manage the climb back up that hill, without stopping to catch my breath three or four times. I plan my routes to take me down it, whenever possible!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »
More rain here! Still many bridges and roads out, some "long term". This stuff is going to freeze before it gets a chance to dry out!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:25 pm »
The Catskills from the south:

today's ride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/53492030

slim

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 11:37:21 pm »
Hi Jim, always look forward to seeing your posts. Keep them coming!

Cheers

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »
Several key bridges out for the long term:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/53754984

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 05:37:47 pm »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 08:09:58 am »
Wonderful photos *as always*, Jim; just like being there.  Please keep posting.

Question re: the Rohloff -- do you find the low adequately low for the really long/tall hill slopes you've pictured?  Have you considered going to a larger rear cog or smaller chainwheel, or are things just about right for the majority of your use?

I'm adjusting to the gearing on the Sherpa but will switch to an 11-34 cassette.  I'm used to half-step-and-granny gearing, so the current 3-ring/9-cog setup actually has fewer unique combos than my three half-step setups on other bikes, which range from 6 to 7 cogs with triple cranks.  Effectively, the Sherpa has roughly the same 14 gears you do with the Rohloff, but not as equally spaced nor as readily accessible (lots of duplicates or near-dupes in my case, hence the planned cassette change).

Ever seen a Rohloff with two chainrings and a rear tensioner?  I'm guessing one could achieve a wonderful 28-speed half-step setup with chainrings spaced only two or three teeth apart, but at the cost of greater complexity and maintenance, which is kind of antithetical to the Rohloff ethos.

Man, your bike is beautiful. 

Again, please keep the photos coming; they're great!  Watch out for those bears...  =8^o

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »
Yes, I do dream of switching to lower gears on my bike! I expect to be carrying larger loads, and climbing some of the tougher hills. There are plenty of hills around that are much more difficult than what I've managed so far. But then, I am trying to build up strength, and it is definitely getting easier to climb the same hills from one month to the next. These days I find myself in 2nd gear a lot more often. But still, an awful lot of the time I am grinding up in 1st at 2.9 mph or thereabout, probably a 50 or 60 rpm cadence. Anyway, no immediate plans to switch gears. I'll just see how my riding evolves. Right now there is plenty of beautiful and practical riding I can do with the gears I have - they only a very minor limitation.

I have a 6 speed Brompton - a 3 speed internal gear rear hub and then two chainrings. The 3 rear gears are quite widely spaced - the two chainrings make a nice half step, and even that half step of extra range comes in handy. The Brompton needs the chain tensioner anyway, to take up slack when one folds the bike. So the double chainrings don't add too much extra expense. I've heard people talk about doing that with a Rohloff, but I don't recall any reports of actual implementations. Surely it would work. I find the spacing on the Rohloff adequately fine - sure, it's always nice to get just the right gear, but it's never too far off with the Rohloff. But if you are really pushing the limits - speed, endurance, etc. - then that bit of gain in efficiency might just pay off.

The deer here are also a challenge. On the downhill side of things, if some deer decides to wander out into the road... I usually use my brakes a lot and descend slowly, unless I have a really good view.

Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2011, 10:34:10 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the fuller explanation about your gearing wrt your local hills; that helped a lot.  Here in the Southern Willamette Valley, I live in a sort of bowl on three sides, so I often find myself climbing similar long, steep grades.  Sure gets one in shape in a hurry!

Have you ever considered using a bear-bell for those occasions when you _don't_ wish to encounter animals?  One of my major rides last year was through "cougar country" where mountain lions had taken a number of cattle, wounded some horses and pets, and had begun to lose their general fear of humans.  I have a hiker's bear bell, damped by a magnet for silence when unneeded, and thought about taking into the High Cascades with me this early Spring for a test -- assuming it doesn't drive me insane in practice.  It might also work as a "tamper detector" on the bicycle at night, should some little animal wish to nibble the mounted Ortliebs for a midnight snack (beware porcupines, who are especially attracted to salt left on gloves, helmets, and Brooks saddles.  A friend and I had a small problem with wild foxes at night in the Netherlands' Veluwe park and nature preserve; we awakened to find they had gnawed on my friend's wooden spatula).  Of course, in bear country, I always bag my food and winch it high into a tree.  I do the same with the pannier that held it, as food odors will often cling to a bag, and I don't think Mr. Bear is too facile at working the closures properly.

Best,

Dan.

scotian

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:56 pm »
Hi Jim,

Like following this post, Good photos and great bike.
Have a Nomad on order, cant wait to try it. It will be for commute and touring.
What carradice are you using ? Have a Nelson long flap which I  use for my commute.
Will use it on the Nomad when I get it.

Cheers,

Ian
Scotland

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:13 am »
What carradice are you using ? Have a Nelson long flap which I  use for my commute.

Yeah, I call it my "Fearless Nomad" because I like to go out and explore and even when the road gets really rough, the bike can handle it - I don't have to worry!

I have Carradice SuperC all around. I have the handlebar bag on the accessory bar below the handlebars, and the saddlebag on an SQR fitting - the saddle loops on a Champion Flyer aren't so useful because of interference from the saddle springs. I put the SuperC rear panniers on for grocery shopping. Plus I have the front panniers so far unused but waiting for some fabulous expedition.

Will you go to SJS to pick up your bike or get it shipped? Probably a rather long trip from Scotland?

Jim

jags

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:56 pm »
scotian try out the carradice rack bag its a great piece of kit ,i also have the nelson lonflap also great but the rackbag i find spot on for day rides amazing the amount of gear you can pack into it. ;)
sure hope you post a few pics of the new bike well done and safe riding.

scotian

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »
Jim

Will get it shipped, hopefully soon. Is that a clic stand you use in some of the photos, looks good.

Jags

Do like the look of the Super C rack bag, hopefully will be able to get full Super C set for the bike for touring.

Cheers,

Ian

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:36 am »
yes, that's a clickstand. It is not as quick to deploy as a kickstand but it is more versatile - more stable with loads, can handle slopes, etc.

I got my bike almost a year ago, in November. I got studded tires for it so I could ride it in the snow! I hope it comes soon and you get years of pleasure and utility from it!