Author Topic: Disassembling my EXP with SS couplings  (Read 1660 times)

kingoftheworld

Disassembling my EXP with SS couplings
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:37:01 am »

Hi Guys,
Just about to finish my 12.000km dream tour on my EXP from Vienna to the Southern most part of India.

The bike has performed brilliantly, there is a need just at the beginning to check the screws on the eccentric
bracket & the SS couplings but otherwise the bike has been brilliant (if anybody wants to see pics that I have
uploaded of my tour and the bike you can send a request to facebook, ....#uk1@gmx.net#....

So anyway down to my question. I was wondering whether it really is possible if I can get the bike all in
one hard case ? weight wise it would all work and I wouldn't have to pay extra, bike box, extra ticket for bike etc 
Has anyone tried dismantling their Thorn into a case ? And could anyone give me some tips and or which size hard top case I would need.

Cheers for any feed back
Simon

julk

Re: Disassembling my EXP with SS couplings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:38:45 am »
In theory it will pack down into an S&S 26" x 26" x 10" hard bike case.
You can see some examples of the packing sequence here, and the case here.

However at a cost of several hundred pounds to buy the case, unless you will use it often, it may be cheaper to just fly with the bike fully assembled in a cardboard bike box with saddle down, handlebars turned and pedals off and pay the extra luggage charge.

travelling

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »
Given your in India wouldn't you be able to get either a hard case or soft case made to fit for peanuts?

kingoftheworld

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:09:00 am »

Thanks for the good information.

I fly back with emmirates that allow 30kg, I think that can also include
a bike, as long as you don"t go over the 30kg.

I"ll have a look around and see what a 66x66x25 hardcase costs here.it will
certainly come under 300 quid.

Cheers again
Simon