Community > Cycle Tours

Successful Trans Am on a Nomad Mk2

(1/1)

StuWW:
On the 6th August 2010 at 10 am I officially finished my 4600 mile Trans America cycle ride following the Adventure Cycling Associations Trans Am route East to West.

Apart from problems with the Schwalbe Supremes non stop puncturing, the bike performed perfectly and the Rohloff was flawless.

Much more about my adventure on my Blog.

http://www.midlifecyclist.me.uk/2010/08/i-ride-therefore-i-transam.html

Any questions about the bike or the route please shout.

Stu

Tartalo:
Hi Stu,

amazing adventure!
I have been following  you on your blog ( very good, btw), after I start reading you on crazyguyonabike.
In your blog, in one of your last entries, you are refering to "I suffered form the dreaded radial tyre wire picked up off of a messy shoulder."
Can you explain what is this ?

Cheers and enjoy Canada

Tartalo

StuWW:
Hi Tartalo

Thanks for following my Blog, really appreciate it.

The radial tyre wire refers to the blown out truck tyres that you see on the hard shoulders. Apparently they have very fine woven wires in them that can cause punctures. It seems to be a known issue with the touring crowd out here.

The problem I had was that my Schwalbe Supremes kept getting slow punctures at least every other day, but I would spend ages examining the tyre and find nothing. I was told that the wire can sit buried in the tyre and only push through when you pump it up, so you never see it.

I got so frustrated I ditched my Supremes with at least a 1000 miles left on them and replaced them with Schwalbe Marathons, I did get two punctures with these but from obvious items such as nails.

Hope that explains mine and a few other people I met dilemma.

www.midlifecyclist.me.uk

Tartalo:
Apreciate the info, Stu .
My brother is haunted with a "ghost" puncture  and this helps to find for another clue to resolve the mistery.

Cheers  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version