Author Topic: Stiff Shifting  (Read 2392 times)

AndrewC

Stiff Shifting
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »
The Rohloff on my Nomad has been faultless in the 4 years that I've owned it. I've changed the oil every year and that's all

After a recent navigational faux pas took me across a "bridleway" from Dunwich to Walberswick which turned into a mudbath (there were _inches_ of mud on the rims & the mudguards were so full the wheels wouldn't turn)  the shifting from gear 9 onwards has been very stiff.  Cleaning it doesn't seem to have cured the problem.

I want to fix this before my next tour in 2 weeks.  Am I best replacing the cables or is there an easier solution ? 

If I replace the cables, was there ever a definitive answer as to what type of cable to use ?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:29:55 pm by AndrewC »

AndrewC

Re: I've got an unwanted stiffy - advice required !!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:31 pm »
I've just taken a look at the Cable Box and the bottom adjuster has sheared in 2. the head rotates but the threaded body is stuck and not moving. Looks like I'm going to have to buy & fit new adjusters and cables.

Paulson

• My Blog
Re: Stiff Shifting
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:13 am »
Totally off topic, for which I apologise Andrew, but are you another Suffolk-based Thorn owner? 

AndrewC

Re: Stiff Shifting
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:48:08 pm »
No, I'm up in Liverpool.   I was in Suffolk earlier in the month though, I spent the week after the Dunwich Dynamo touring around.

wheezy

Re: I've got an unwanted stiffy - advice required !!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:21:15 pm »
I've just taken a look at the Cable Box and the bottom adjuster has sheared in 2. the head rotates but the threaded body is stuck and not moving. Looks like I'm going to have to buy & fit new adjusters and cables.

One of my adjuster bolts broke a while back. I've been using it ever since without a problem (that I know of) not that I can adjust anything with it... I'd have replaced it straight away but you have to buy (I vaguely recall) several parts to replace the one, so I put it off.