Technical > General Technical

FSA Orbit XLII Headset help

(1/2) > >>

DaveM:
Can anybody let me know how I go about greasing up one of these headsets, do I grease the races? should I grease all metal parts?  I've never had a sealed bearing headset before so I've no idea what to do

Thanks

zuiz:
Never kan use to much grease. ;D

Erudin:
From http://www.fullspeedahead.com/ Headset FAQ:

"Is it necessary to grease my sealed cartridge bearings?

The bearings themselves don’t require grease for smooth operation. FSA recommends using a light grease
when assembling sealed cartridge bearings, not as a lubricant, but as a waterproofing agent as an extra
layer of protection."

The bearings are double-sealed cartridge type and non-serviceable, replacement bearings cost about £20.

They also have a Headset technical manual, I found the diagram (page 87) useful when assembling the headset:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloadfly.aspx?download=downloads/2010+Headset+Technical+Catalogue+PDF+(Low+Version).zip

cake:
I've been thinking about this recently - that's useful info Erudin.

Would anybody know how straight forward a job it is to replace the cartridge bearings, when the time comes, on my Raven Tour?  Are any special tools required or is it just a case of prising the old ones out and pushing the new ones into place?

Cheers.

rualexander:

--- Quote from: cake on February 14, 2011, 12:13:03 pm ---I've been thinking about this recently - that's useful info Erudin.

Would anybody know how straight forward a job it is to replace the cartridge bearings, when the time comes, on my Raven Tour?  Are any special tools required or is it just a case of prising the old ones out and pushing the new ones into place?

Cheers.

--- End quote ---
Its very easy.
Just undo and remove the top cap nut, undo the stem clamp bolts and lift the stem off the steerer along with any spacers, drop the forks out of the frame, lift the lower bearing cartridge off the fork steerer (or it may be left behind in the headset  at the bottom of the head tube), lift off the headset top cover (part no.1 in the above diagram), lift out the upper bearing cartridge.
To fit the new bearing cartridges just reverse this procedure, making sure you get the top and bottom bearing cartridges the right way round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version