Technical > General Technical

Ergon GC3 grips

(1/1)

geocycle:
I've been using Ergon grips on thorn comfort bars for 4 years and they have nearly worn out.  Has anyone used the newish GC3's with the long integrated bar ends?  I'm interested in how the bar ends function and how solid they are.  They seem to come in long and short sizes (both compatible with the rohloff shifter), my inclination is to go for long and cut down if needed (there seems to be an error somewhere in the sizes given on the SJS site).

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Ergon-Ergon-GC3-Grips-Nexus-Rohloff-18269.htm

PH:
I put them on a new bike about a month ago.  Been used  for the 10 miles a day commute and a couple of 30ish mile rides.  No long rides or tours with them yet so final judgment is reserved.
However based on use so far I can only say they are the best bars I’ve ever used, straight, comfort, drop or butterfly.  The best by far, there’s so many usable positions,  5 or 6  without being creative.  The hollow fibreglass takes out more road buzz than any amount of rubber or padding, I’ve been riding over one rough stretch with one hand on the grips and the other on the bar ends, the difference is easily noticeable.  As I found when it was blowing a gale last week, the forward position allows you to tuck in while still feeling in control.
Couple of disadvantages, they do look like an early 90s throwback!  They scuff easily, if you’re in the habit of leaning your bike against anything handy you might want to look at how to protect them.
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the two sizes, it refers to the pad on the grips, as on other Ergon versions.  Not sure what you meant by “cutting down” it’s not an option.  Unless you mean the GR2?
I hope my opinion hasn’t changed after a decent tour.  Previous favourite flat bar grips were Ergons and Cane Creek rubber bar ends, I think these are far better.

rafiki:
From the SJS site:

--- Quote --- Compatibility: Rohloff / Nexus
Size: Small / Large
Length: (Small) Left 140 mm, Right 105 mm / (Large) Left 105 mm, Right 105 mm
--- End quote ---

The measurements don't seem to tally with the description. Could someone explain please?

PH:

--- Quote from: rafiki on August 04, 2010, 09:14:06 pm ---From the SJS site:

The measurements don't seem to tally with the description. Could someone explain please?

--- End quote ---

It's confusing on the SJS site.  From the Ergon catalog;
- 140 mm each side for standard shifters
- 140 mm left and 105 mm right for Rohloff®/Nexus®
- 105 mm each side for GripShift®

This is the length of the grips.

Also from the catalog
As hand size is different from person to person, Ergon manufacturers
the GP, GC, GR, GE and GA ranges in two sizes - Small and Large. This
difference is in the diameter of the grip.

You can download the catalog here;
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gc3

geocycle:
Cheers guys.  I think I'll put an order in.  I do like the Ergon grips I've had which have been twinned with some of the thorn carbon bar ends.  This has worked OK on the comfort bars but they have worn through to some sticky gunk.  I like the longer integrated bar end of the GC3 which although a bit of a throwback as you say PH, will probably look less gawky than my current set up.  I did consider going the whole hog and changing to butterflys but I like having quick access to all controls. 

Thanks also for digging out the sizing info from Ergon.  Looks like SJS have a typo on their site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version