Author Topic: belt drive  (Read 7765 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: belt drive
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:26 am »
Zero,

In your very well-written post above, you concluded...
So whilst the comotions are really well built bikes I really dont think they are suited to the more expedition side of touring.  IMO its a bike thats designed to be used in North America or Europe  and not worldwide.
...and very neatly summed up why I chose to go with a Thorn for my needs rather than buy locally (Co-Motion are located less than 5mi/8km from my home, but I decided to source my expedition touring bike(s) from Thorn, ~5,000mi/8,000km away -- and paid extra for the privilege through differences in the exchange rate, Customs duties, and a large cost for shipping).

I have the greatest respect for Co-Motion, have been acquainted with the principals for years, and was one of the first people through the door of their original shop many years ago. Many friends and acquaintances have purchased Co-Motions based on my recommendation and are happy with them. Their bikes are of the highest quality and are certainly innovative; many of their parts are designed and milled on the spot (witness their very nice Rohloff shifter for drop handlebars) and the finish is done to an extremely high standard.

It is simply that Thorn's offerings (first Sherpa Mk2, then Nomad Mk2) better met my needs for the kind of riding I do and for all the design reasons you detailed.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:56:40 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:38 am »
[Dan wrote above]"A well-lubed chain in a Chainglider is supposed to be quiet,"

[And Andre asked,] "Says who?"

Hi Andre! This was an issue I have run into repeatedly in my research prior to ordering a Chainglider. It is frequent enough I thought it deserved mention

Ouch!

My experience with the Chainglider was so instantly agreeable and silent, after just a bit of jiggling, that I'm tempted to wonder if those people aren't solving with a oil a problem that can be solved by shrugging the Chainglider more comfortably onto the chain.

But a little thought will tell you something else that may be important.

My bike has an absolutely straight chain line (made with the help of several parties here -- thanks again!), 54mm precisely; the Chainglider fits like a custom-tailored shirt. The Chainglider doesn't have too much spare space inside -- at least 4mm in the horizontal direction and probably 6-8mm in the vertical dimension is Chainglider rubber, so it doesn't have any space inside for chain angling. I think it likely that a chainline off by as little as a millimetre will catch on the Chainglider, and be noisy.

What's the experience of the other Chainglider owners here?

That Hebie tells you to use grease doesn't impress me much; their lawyers probably told them to say that.

Andre Jute

martinf

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:18 am »
What's the experience of the other Chainglider owners here?

1 Suboptimal installation on my 5-speed with rather thick TA chainring, 1/8" chain and sprocket, chainline probably not spot-on, drivetrain components already rather worn:

- still some rubbing noise, but decreasing with use. Extra oiling made no difference, but my chain was well-oiled to start with it. I only notice the noise when I make an effort to hear it, and when there is no competing wind/traffic noise.

2 "Perfect" installation on my Raven Tour with thin stainless-steel Surly chainring, 3/32" chain and Rohloff sprocket, chainline probably spot on when delivered by Thorn and not much changed by me fiddling with the eccentric, all new drivetrain components and just factory lube on chain:

- no noticeable noise. But that goes for myself, someone who is less tolerant of background noise might notice something. And, due to starting a new job, I haven't yet had much opportunity to use my Raven Tour.