Author Topic: Loose screws  (Read 2471 times)

kingoftheworld

Loose screws
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:33:57 am »

Hi Guys,

Just become the proud owner of a boootiful EXP. Pictures will follow soon.
I am planning a long trip this year which will see me cross several Country's.

So my question, does any of you know if Thorn uses loctite or something similar
when fitting the bike to stop/reduce the screws from becoming loose?

I was thinking of undoing all the pannier & mudguard screws & bonding them with a drop of loctite 243 (think that's the number)
to stop them become loose. I was also even contemplating changing the rounded butted head screws to
hexagonal in case through constant tightening that I need to use pliers to get a screw off.

Finally could I use loctite on the SS coupling? as this seems to be (if any) a possible weak point in parts becoming loose?

Cheers for any constructive answers

Simon

julk

Re: Loose screws
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
You could try asking SJS about their use of loctite.

I just use a blob of grease to make taking the bolts out easier and I have never had one come loose in use.

S&S couplings - you should use the special grease recommended or you run the risk of not being able to tighten or loosen them easily. Even using the special grease I still find undoing the coupling quite hard.
I have never had one come loose in riding.

If you are putting hex head bolts to replace rounded head then watch out that nothing is going to rub on them and be damaged by the sharp edges.

sbseven

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:40:55 am »
I think Thorn put Loctite on all the small bolts. They did on my 2009 Nomad anyway.

I'm not a fan of Loctite and like julk, I prefer to use grease (specifically anti-seize or copaslip) and just check tightness occasionally. I had a struggle removing a couple of loctited bolts when I took my Thorn racks off after receiving the bike.

I also replaced the button-headed allen bolts with cap-headed allen bolts because they use the next size up of allen key head. This should make any stuck bolts easier to shift down the line, with less chance of rounding the bolt heads. You could use hexagonal headed bolts, but allen headed bolts are pretty convenient, IMO.

Regarding S&S Couplings. Thorn sell a recommended grease - Finish Line Extreme Fluoro, although I feel this should be included with the couplings, if it's so important. (http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/extreme_fluoro_grease.htm). The S&S website has a detailed page about their recommendations and why 'normal' grease isn't recommended: http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm

Shaun
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:58:00 am by sbseven »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:11 pm »
+1 for the use of copaslip,  nearly every bolt gets this stuff with a few exceptions.  There are a few items that I do use Loctite  on - the long mudguard screws for instead.  I normally use the 222 grade if using Loctite 

Switching to  hex bolts rather than Allen screws are a good idea, indeed several years ago (I believe ) Thorn's came as standard using hex bolts.  BUT be aware that hex bolts are easier for a thief to remove as well!   Personally I switched all my fixings to Torx which are harder to round than Allen but also more security orientated.

I don't have any experience of an SS coupling but looking at the notes on the web I would stick to the greases that they recommend   

kingoftheworld

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »

Thanks for the feed back, great stuff   ;D