Author Topic: Best grease for Rohloff?  (Read 2756 times)

Andre Jute

Best grease for Rohloff?
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:26 am »
From another thread:

using plenty of copper grease on the grub screw

What is this "copper grease" is that you have referred to several times in the archives? Is there a brand you recommend?

Until now, for putting a spot of grease in the EX klickbox every 500km, I've been using Finish Line Ceramic Grease:
 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30011
Does anyone have experience of ceramic grease, or an opinion on it? It is said over time to build up a ceramic layer.

Hobbes

MilitantGraham

• www.aecmilitant.co.uk
Re: Best grease for Rohloff?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:28:15 am »
Copaslip is the trade name of the original, although, like Hoovers and Biros, there are other equivalent products from other manufacturers.
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/MLY7033100A
I've always used loads of it repairing trucks and buses. If you're bolting something together and might want to unbolt it at some time in the future, it is pretty much essential, especially between dissimilar metals.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:46:14 pm »

expr

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:08:36 pm »
Hello hobbes,

The finishine ceramic grease that you have referred to is predominately used as a lubricant enhancer rather that the anti seize properties that COPPER based grease offers. Copperslip is generally used around parts which can and do after time seize up and become difficult to take apart, You can still use the finishline ceramic grease, it's just an expensive way to prevent rust and seizing componenets that don't require the further lubricating treatment that it offers.

There are also the arguments for and against using copperslip with differing metals where by under certain conditions (salty water) this can create an effect called galvanic corrosion. The water becomes an electrolyte and begins the process.

I can only say I'm aware of this happening in industry but have not seen it myself on a bike.

julk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:50:11 am »
I have started using ACF50 spray mainly for its rust preventive properties. There is also a grease available and this could be a good idea for items like the ex box which are getting salt spray off the road in winter.