Author Topic: Likeable features of Tout Terrain Frames  (Read 3109 times)

Reuel

Likeable features of Tout Terrain Frames
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:26:12 am »
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp

As can be seen on the web page above, the clamp style eccentric bottom bracket shell appears to be a lot better than the set screw types. He even says: “Why all frame builders don't do it this way is a mystery. ” May be some of us in this forum can convince Thorn to introduce this in one or two models!

The other feature that appeals to me is tabs on the head tube that prevent the handlebars from turning backwards.

blair

Re: Likeable features of Tout Terrain Frames
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:14 pm »
The bottom bracket is the most highly stressed part of a bike frame.
Cutting a slot in it will hurt both torsional stiffness and fatigue life.
And you can't bolt it up with no gap, as that will eliminate the adjustability.

The Thorn set screws are a bit crude, but seem to be effective.

I do like the stops on the head tube, but I'd want a bit more than 90 deg turn to allow flexibility in packing the bike for transport.
I also like the integrated pannier rack, it's one less thing to shake loose & fall off.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »
I don't see that splitting the EBB housing is an advantage.  The ONLY issue with EBB adjustment on a thorn is setting (approximately) the right tension in the screw.  Exactly the same problem will exists in the clamping method. 

For those that say, "but if you use the  EBB the wrong way up you will damage the BB."  I say, "RTM -  it is very clear on this!"

I think that new riders are initially concerned that they have to dent the EBB with the adjustment screw, and hence they tend to under tension the screws a bit.   Those with with a bit more experience never even think about the EBB screws any more - we don't need to because the just don't fail!   

To anyone who is new to the Thorn EBB and are concerned over adjusting it let me say that the EBB has being designed to be dented by the adjustment screws - so dent away - you are NOT damaging anything by doing this.

As for the rest of the bike - there are some bits I like (esp. the handle bar stop) and some bits I don't.  From a touring point of view I personally thing disk brakes are a non starter - It is MUCH easy to get a rim re-trued than a disk.   I am also not very keen on the attached rack - what happens if it gets damaged - you can't just swap it out.  Others may disagree.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:10:50 pm by stutho »

jawj

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:47:30 am »
There's no denying that the Silkroad is a lovely piece of bike. The rack would indeed be lovely and rigid, but I'm so darn fussy about the shape of my rack that I actually swap them between bikes every-so-often, just for a laugh...

I've never had a probelm with the bolts on Thorn's EBB, but can't see why the Silkroad's would suffer any troubles: if it didn't work I'm sure they'd not use it!

The suspension fork option is wonderfully thought out. I want it. I want it bad...

Then again, every time I get on my Nomad, it's such a wonderful ride, I'd never feel the need to look elsewhere. Windowshopping's fun, but usually what you've already chosen is the best option for you anyway!

Thread hijack warning...

I've said it before (a long time ago) but I'll say it again: once you use disc brakes, you don't look back. They make so much more sense and work so much better all the time. If I was going on a seriously out-there tour, and thought that somehow I might bend a rotor, I'd just pack an extra rotor: it's small and flat and easy to stash in the rigid back of a pannier.

Hydraulic brakes generally are simply genius compared to cable-actuated. Mineral oil basically needs NO maintenance: even on my older MTB with no disc mounts I use Magura rim brakes, otherwise I have quite a collection of various (all brilliant) Shimano disc brake bits.

Wish list: 1) If only there was a way to have a disc brake on the front of my Nomad. 2) Hydraulic brakes for the Brompton...

vik

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:45:09 pm »
I looked at Tout Terrain bikes before I bought my Nomad S&S, but I don't think the integrated rack is a great idea [it's stainless steel and not as easy to repair/replace as a Thorn or Tubus rack], I'm not sold on disc brakes for a touring bike either.  Two of my touring bikes have discs and they work okay, but the further afield I go the less happy I would be.  I also don't notice a performance penalty for using V-brakes with some decent pads over discs.

The handle bar stop is a good idea, but not enough to make me buy the frame.  The Thorn EBB is easy to use.  I can't speak to the functional/design differences between the two EBB options.  I suspect I'd be equally happy with either.  I'd have to try them both to know.

The other big selling point for Thorn when I was doing my research was the simple fact I could easy find many satisfied customers reporting their experiences online.  I found precisely one magazine review of a TT bike and one owner who used his only for commuting.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

john28july

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:26:54 am »
The other big selling point for Thorn when I was doing my research was the simple fact I could easy find many satisfied customers reporting their experiences online.

Vik,
As you said above-its owners reports that make the difference..
John.