Community > Cycle Tours

Which tent did you use and why?

(1/3) > >>

spoon boy:
Pondering the last throws of my trip and thought the Vaude Voyager was the money

Then I saw on you tube (lots of how to put up the tent vids on there) the vaude hogan xt

now a big thing is made of the tent entry being big enough to store your bike in but it weighs another kilo i.e. 3.4 kg

any one have any tent reccomendations?

I am travelling on my own and need a 3 season two man tent o and I'm 6ft 3

I would prefer the inner and outer to be linked for easy of assembly and dissasembly

I've seen some that have the inner then a sheet and some that have the sheet then the inner

I know it sounds a lot of money but remembering this will be my home for the next 6 years or so, I found the hilleberg nallo 2gt for £449 including full ground mat

What say you?

julk:
If you want a tent which is well made, strong, long lasting, pitches as a unit, stands up to bad (even arctic) weather, then the Hilleberg tents are the job. They are expensive to buy.

I have a large active family and four different Hillebergs in use (Nallo 3, Staika, Nammatj 3 GT and Stalon Combi 2), each has worked well. The Nallo saves weight by leaving some features out.
A footprint will usually cover the full area under the flysheet, extend the life of the groundsheet and make using/keeping the tent clean a lot easier if you pitch on muddy ground.

The Nallo is used when light weight is most important. The main drawback is the reduced ventilation of this model.
The Staika is used when a self supporting tent is needed and makes a good static base pitch.
The Nammatj GT is possibly the best all round cycle touring tent and is currently my favourite.
The Stalon Combi is very good for a cycle camp where you stay on each site for more than 1 day. It has an enormous roof insert section giving the biggest area for storing stuff and bikes under cover.

The ideal cycle touring tent has to be the one which best suits your budget and needs!

spoon boy:
Hi Julk

I had read much about the Hilleberg and it was perfect..apart from the price

then I started to read the reviews and I havn't found a bad one yet...the condensation was mentioned but it also mentions proper assembly

I had seen the competitors tents at £200-£300

I've taken the plunge and bought a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT Tent I am sure whilst my wallet regrets it I won't whilst on tour.

Now here is the odd thing I looked at a price comparison site and saw it for £360, saw where it was coming from and thought..I'll go on the companies direct website

I did, it was £460!!!

So for now I won't divulge the comparison site or the supplier (they are reputable) but will tell you when it actually turns up incase there has been a cock up on thier part

julk:
Spoon boy,

I am sure you will find the money is well spent.

Enjoy your Nallo when it arrives, although it is a bit cold just now for camping!

Julian

bobs:
have to agree hilleberg every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version