Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Slippage in gears 1 - 7

(1/4) > >>

bike_the_planet:
Hi Folks,

The missus and I have just completed a 4 month tour of Europe; me on an original Nomad and her on a Club Tour. Both bikes were retro-fitted with Rohloffs before we left. Both frames had modified l.h. rear dropouts to facilitate the fitting of the OEM Ex Box. However, because they are not capable of taking EBBs, each were fitted with a chain tensioner.

Following the first oil change immediatetly before our tour started, the hubs behaved almost faultlessly over 4000 kms plus.

We're currently in the UK, but whilst riding some hills yesterday my 3rd and 4th gears started slipping. I immediately sought flatter ground and managed to get back to base before any more dramas. My immediate suspicion was the chain tensioner. However, subsequent investigation on a further ride today has revealed that gear 1 - 7 are all slipping violently, to the point where my legs and the crank will skip through a half turn suddenly. However, try as I may, I cannot get gears 8 and above to slip.

I have loosened the cable adjusters to ensure that the changer isn't trying to disengage the gears but to no avail. Watching my chain whilst this slippage happens definitely does not show any sign of the chain jumping/derrailing. The slippage definitely appears to be within the hub itself although there is no diificulty in selecting gears using the changer.

My suspicion is now directed at the reduction gear in the hub. I believe that the Rohloffs are a 7 speed box with a reduction gear to give the 14 speeds.

I will be dismantling the bike shortly before transport back to our home in Perth, Australia. I plan to drain the hub beforehand and refill with oil when we arrive home. If that does not cure this, then it sounds like a 'back to Rohloff' job.

Needless to say I'm extremely relieved that this didn't happen during our tour - it would have really taken the shine off things.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any thoughts?

Looking through other postings I note that most cases of slippage are due to the use of the chain tensioner - this does not appear to be the case here. There is also some info regarding slippage in gears 3 and 4 requiring re-shimming. May be this is similar.

Any thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Tony (of Perth but presently shivvering in the UK)

freddered:
Call SJSC immediately

stutho:
Tony

The are two small springs just underneath the left axle plate if these are missing or damaged then you will see exactly the symptoms you described.  I have also read a mail where the Axel plate was loose that coursed the same issues.  If you are using the Threaded axle version (as opposed to the quick release) then also check you haven't overtightened the axle bolts (max tension is 35NM) 

Let us know what the outcome is

StuTho

PS if you are currently near  Swansea / Gower  (South Wales) then my door is open!

bike_the_planet:
Thanks for your suggestion, StuTho, I will have a look this afternoon.

Not 10 mins beofre the gears started to slip I was crawling up a 1 in 4 in 1st without any problems whatsoever, so maybe something is loose.

Currently in hilly Gloucestershire, so 7 speeds only is a bit restricting. But we are flying home this wednesday.

Cheers,

stutho:
You probably know this but if you are going to tighten (or remove) the axle plate you are going to need a Torx key -TX20.

StuTho

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version