Author Topic: Newly Built Thorn Sherpa  (Read 21334 times)

The Raucous AUK

Re: Newly Built Thorn Sherpa
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:29:36 pm »
Nice bike and nice pictures too!

aj

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »
Thank you Raucous AUK, the bike just seems to get better and better, just wish I could say the same for the weather, was bored today and couldn't get out so another photo was taken to pass the time.

Adrian

jags

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 10:30:06 pm »
aj ,just noticed no spd pedals what's the story there.

kwkirby01

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »
For the winter I have been thinking of fitting some Marathon XR tyres, the roads and lanes round here can turn into a sea of mud in places and I'm not sure how the Supremes will handle that, so I'm looking at tyre reviews as well!
Adrian, how did you get on with the Supreme's over winter? Did you change to XR's in the end? I've just fitted Supreme's to my Sherpa but am unsure how they'll fare as the weather get worse. Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

aj

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55:13 am »
Adrian, how did you get on with the Supreme's over winter? Did you change to XR's in the end? I've just fitted Supreme's to my Sherpa but am unsure how they'll fare as the weather get worse. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I stayed on the Supreme's over last winter and didn't have any real problems. The worst surfaces seemed to be muddy, grassy tracks, wheel-spin then could become irritating but apart from that they were fine as long as due attention to the road surface was given. I always take it easy on mud strewn lanes and am probably overcautious but I get there, eventually! This year I keep looking at the new Extremes, they sound good and lighter than the XR's with better rolling resistance on tarmac, I'm tempted but skint so I'll probably go through this winter on the Supreme's again.
    If I had the spare readies I think I would give the Extremes a try, they seem a good tyre in the few reviews I've read but would be interested to hear from anyone who has used both Supremes and Extremes and could give a real world comparison of how they both cope relatively with winter conditions, especially on muddy tarmac lanes, I have a feeling that with either tyre caution is going to be the byword in such conditions.

Adrian

kwkirby01

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
Thanks for the update Adrian. I've taken the Supreme's off road (gravel and forest roads) and found them okay so long as I dropped the pressure, so I reckoned they'd be okay in winter. I have Marathon Winter tyres for ice and snow and intend to experiment with swapping just the front tyre out (on the basis that if the rear goes one can normally recover, but if the front goes that's it).

On the road Marathon Supreme's they are terrific tyres, by far the best I've ever used.

Yesterday I felt a lump in the rear tyre, stopped and found a sharp piece of glass embedded in the tyre. It didn't get through the outer layer and left only a short shallow impression in the tyre. I was very Impressed!

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Fred Green

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:54 am »
I have had a few looks at this magnificent machine. It almost seems too good to ride - Is it really a bike or a work of art?

Relayer

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:14 pm »
I have had a few looks at this magnificent machine. It almost seems too good to ride - Is it really a bike or a work of art?

Bump ... just so this work of art is easier to find   :D

An update on the bike would be nice too.

Pavel

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »
Your photographic skills are to be admired.  Thanks for posting this .... because, certainly, it is inspiring.  The bike looks somehow Elegant and a bit aristocratic, more that brochures would suggest.
I find the talk of the tires interesting.  I wonder how much the tires change the character of a bike on smooth pavement, one tire to the next and I imagine it is quite a lot. 

Post more photos when you can (after the museum mounts it! :D) and keep us up to date.