Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

New Shifter Cables - Lovely

(1/2) > >>

freddered:
I replaced the shifter cables last week after a friend said how much better it made shifting.

My Raven Tour is 2.5 years old and it's done 13,000km.  The shifter cable outers were cracked where they enter the first set of headtube guides and visibly rusty.

I ordered the cables from SJSC and watched the Youtube video (which descibes the process perfectly)

Cable Change

The only thing I did differently was to bypass the cable guides on the headtube as I feel they put too much stress on the cable outers when the handlebars are turned.

The shifter action is wonderfully light now, highly recommended way to spend an hour.

Don't forget to buy a size 20 Torx/Star driver

I also bought a new bayonet connector becasue the allen key was stripped on the grub screw. 

I ordered some tiny (6mm M4) allen bolts from www.stagonset.co.uk for a few pence (you can buy individual replacement grub screws if you need them, I got some just in case).  I fitted one bolt to the male bayonet end and it gives you some purchase when disconnecting/connecting with cold/wet/oily hands.  Trust me, they are a bugger to use when repairing a puncture in the rain and dark.

Here endeth my tips.  Use or not.

stutho:
Hi Freddered,
Did you go for any particularly make of cable?

lewis noble:
Hello Freddered

Those bolts things look an excellent idea - to describe the originals as a bugger to use sometimes is an understatement . . .

Lewis

freddered:

--- Quote from: stutho on October 03, 2008, 09:31:48 pm ---Hi Freddered,
Did you go for any particularly make of cable?

--- End quote ---

They are Shimano and are the ones sjsc sell specifically as replacements for shifter cables

The bolts also have a bigger allen key hole making them less prone to 'rounding' and now I can always use Mole-Grips if all else fails.  If I was going on a long tour I'd probably fit bolts in place of every grub screw. 

avdave:
I've had the same issue with cracked cable outers on my Catalyst, so I'll bear that idea in mind when I change mine. Having said that mine were cracked and rusting after 6 months and now at over 2 years the gear change is still as good as new and the bike is used every day as a commuter, currently off road. I have found reconnecting the bayonet fittings tricky in the past but I have found that as long as I reconnect the bottom one first it's easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version