Author Topic: Swapping Rohlof to a 2nd bike...  (Read 2380 times)

vik

Swapping Rohlof to a 2nd bike...
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:42:04 am »
So I have a Rohloff [external gear mech] on a Surly Big Dummy.  I'm thinking of getting a Thorn Raven Nomad and swapping the Rohloff back and forth as needed.  My question is what parts would I need to order for the new frame to make this work?

Here is what I am thinking:

#8200 - Twist Shifter
#8268 - Shifter cable kit DB/EX [have this from my Rohloff as I used Tandem cable kit on the Big Dummy]
#8216 - External Shift Box
#8234 - Axle Plate OEM [have this from my Rohloff as I used an OEM 2 axle plate for the Big Dummy]

Anything else I would need for the second bike when I swapped the Rohloff across?

thanks!

Vik
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:45:25 pm by vik »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Swapping Rohlof to a 2nd bike...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:27 am »
I think that's all that's required. 

I  think SJSC will supply a Nomad fully made up minus it wheels.  (Pretty sure someone else on the list did this.)  It might well work out cheaper to do it like this.

Stutho

vik

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:51:54 pm »
I think that's all that's required. 

I  think SJSC will supply a Nomad fully made up minus it wheels.  (Pretty sure someone else on the list did this.)  It might well work out cheaper to do it like this.

Stutho

Thank you for the reply. 

I had a Thorn Sherpa which I bought as a frame and built up with parts.  I sold this bike as something didn't quite suit me.  Upon further investigation and test riding of other bikes I think the frame was too small or perhaps a better way to put it is that I greatly prefer frames with more wheelbase in front of the BB.

Given this pile of parts and the fact I seem to have eclectic taste when it comes to parts I want to use I think buying just the frame/fork is a good option.  It will also save me a bunch of $$$ as I live in Canada.

Just as a thought would anyone know if a Shimano Alfine or a SRAM i-motion 9 IGH would fit on a Thorn designed for a Rohloff?  For much of my riding the smaller gear range would be sufficient and the price is much less which would allow me to avoid swapping in the Rohloff except for some big fully loaded trips.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

ALMEIDA

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »
Hey Vik,

I did it a few years ago - and believe me, after a while you will hate swapping the hub. Therefor I saved money and bought a second hub.
If you need to change or adjust also the axle plate it is the wors case in my view.

But try it and give us a feedback.

Good luck

ALMEIDA