Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tyres this time

<< < (2/3) > >>

femmcommuter:
Is it wise to mix different tyres? will it not effect handling performance?

femmcommuter:
Is it wise to mix different tyres? will it not effect handling performance?

Michael Falk:
Continental TravelContacts?

BAD: I don't like cornering on hard surfaces due to the tyre's raised edges; the smooth centre "tread" is slippery on wet unmade surfaces.

GOOD: quite high pressure for their size (1.75"; 85psi); they didn't wear much in 3000-4000km normally with a heavy load & never a puncture.

I never read about too many people using them for touring; Marathon XR's seem to be the favourite for durability.

I'm thinking of using 1.5" Schwalbe Marathons due to (hopefully) their better speed but some concern about using them on unmade surfaces.

Michael Falk

Stijn:
Michael,

I do agree on your assessment of the Travel contact. Slicks get even worse on hard surface with a little gravel or sand, making cornering near to suicide. Don’t aske me how, but I managed two high-sides this season dislocating both my right and left shoulder.[B)]

With regards to A-symmetric tires, there used to be mountain bike tires dedicated for front and rear use. The front being lighter and rounder for better handling and grip in the corners, while the rears were fatter and flatter for better traction. I never tried them though.

The tier line-up for loaded adventure touring, so far:

Continental Top touring 2000, 1.75, 690Gr
Schwalbe Marathon ,1.5, 600Gr

Any other options?

Cheers,

Stijn

Stijn:
Found a very thorough test report on a couple of tires, unfortunately its in Dutch.

http://www.fietsersbond.nl/dbfilestream.asp?id=2856

The Vredstein Scarab seems to come out very well, together with the TT2000.

Cheers,

Stijn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version