Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tyres this time

<< < (3/3)

n/a:
Have a good look at the Dutch Perfect from trailbuzz.com. Also Argos do a Land Rover style tyre, their Hi-Gear twin value pack in 1.95 size, fit these with the Muddy Fox self healing tube from SJSCycles. Basically the tyre has grooves in the middle and knobs on the tyre edge, still as effective as ever on Land Rovers.

Dude:

Update:
I have been using the "ordinary" Marathon 26"(559) 1.5" for commuting(30 km) almost every day for a year now. This summer I did a brilliant tree week tour round the south-eastern part of the Baltic(from Stockholm over Åland, southern Finland, Baltic and the ferry from Gdansk, Poland!). I have not experienced ANY punctures or problems at all during this time!!!

Love riding on dirt roads so with a fully loaded bike and inflated to the max they felt comfy and gave enough traction. They are much more easy rolling than any of the 1,75" tires, naturally, and highly recomended. Can´t see the need for heavy, extra, super, puncture-proof thingies for touring the roads of Europe! I even use these on shorter audax rides!

I did how ever get a flat touring from Portugal and round the southern Spain last year. But it was a thin steel "flake" that had worked it´s way in and through to the tube. But I rather ride with light and fast tires than anything bomb-proof that cost a ton!
Still saving my outdated 1,75" XR for a possible future expedition...

On my lighter wintertraining/commuter bike I have used the 32 mm 700c (622) Marathon´s for more than a year and have had no punctures or problems of any sort. This weekend I surprised the lads in the club as I had no problem keeping up on a 95km MTB-ride!

If your tires brake loose I think it has more to do with your bike handling skills than the tires. Instead of beefing up go out and do some MTB or CycloCross training an get it right!!!

Just remember when touring to keep them highly inflated and do ad some extra air when you load the bike up!

--- "To Infinity ----- _o
--- and Beyond! --- _\ \>
--- Roam Free!" -- (_)/(_)
¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°¤ø,,,,ø¤ºº°`°¤ø,,,,

bukidnon:
I've had problems with traction on sloping mud using PP Tourguards and wondered which tyres would be best for tours consisting of 90% road and 10% rough stuff.  Any suggestions?  The Marathons?  I know nothing about them.

Locally, there is a track, mostly grass, but with some motorcycle damage, which climbs 300 metres in 2 km.  I could use it as a short-cut to work if my tyres didn't spin.  This route would include tarmac and 7 km of forest road.  Is there any tyre which would give fast progress over that mix of surfaces?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version