Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Tyres this time

(1/3) > >>

Chris Land:
In preparation for cycling round the world (or at least a few bits of it) I am playing around with tyres.  Previously I have toured on Schwalbe marathon (26x1.5) and Pasela Tourguard (26x1.75).  The marathon is a little better than the pasela for punctures, but not enormously.  The marathon rolls a little faster, probably due to a narrower profile and higher pressure (100psi).  The pasela is a little better on tracks and is a bit more comfortable, probably because of lower pressure (65psi) and wider profile.

I have just fitted some Marathon XR 1.75s and whilst they are fine on off-road tracks and grippy in the mud, they just roll too heavily for me to want to use them when mainly touring on road.

So - what is the best all round tyre for long-distance touring with a heavy camping load?  Should I use different tyres for Europe (mostly tarmac and good cycle-lanes) and other places where the roads may not be so good?

Is there an ideal all-rounder?

Is a 1.75 generally better than a 1.5, or should rolling resistance take priority over comfort[?]

Dude:
Hi Cris!
I am about to try Marathon 1,5" as soon as I can find a pair at a decent price. They seem to increesingly harder to find, and i was told the bike shop here in Stockholm would have to order them for me at almost tvice the pice I paid two years agoe for my 1,75 ones. There for It might even pay of to order them from Germany, if you need Ortlieb stuff to.

I have previously used both Marathon and Marathon XR. First year I toured S.E. Asia and at home with them. Combined with Mr Tuffy tireliners i had no punkture during 8500km!
The year after I whent from Singapore to Kunming, China, with a new set of XR at the back. Had one punkture first week on my 5 month trip. It was due to a perfectly alined round nail with a big head so it flipped up into my tire. Had to use a plier to get it out. I have 4-5.5 bar depending on surface.

I chare your impessions on these tires.
I think the Marathon 1,75 is the most ideal all-rounder.
It can even perform well on very bad roads and loose surfased foresttrails, as I encountered in Laos and Cambodia. But If you are gone for some time I think bringing a set of foldable XR 1,75 along and use when the road surface gets worse would be ideal.

I have also used Avocet Cross 1,9: Last for ages. Has a strange sidwall curving so I had to reset my brakeblocks when I switched with MTB-tires. I there for killed them both prematurly one day when I was lasy and the blocks cut a hole in the sides. Think the sidewalles are more sensetive than Marathon. 1, 9 was very heavy to get rolling and now I would never go with a wider tire for touring than 1,75.
For this reason I won´t use my Mr tuffys nex time either. Marathon tires are good enough on their own, I think!
Please keep me posted about your journey. I am currently saving up for a world trip my self!

May you have the wind in your back!
Peter

bomber:
For mostly roads I think you'd find it much faster with 26x1.5s, but I must say that we got a good 4000 miles out of a pair of Continental Top Touring 2000s on the way through Europe last year. In India (with it's rougher roads!) the Marathon XRs are much better grip-wise, although definitely heavier to carry (and rolling)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop:
You can wack alot more than 65psi in a 1.75 Tourguard, ignore the sidewall preasure and try 90psi.

Stijn:
It’s a shame this discussion is old, but here is some more intrest.

I'm playing around with tires as well. Currently driving around on the XR’s 1.9, I agree with everybody that they are way to slow, but good off road and conformable as well. I’m also drawn towards going narrower again, but the funny thing is that a company like Schwalbe has increased the width of their XR’s to even 2” and 2.25”, what are they thinking. As if everybody wants to cross the Sahara dessert. I’m puzzled.

So the optimum width lies probably between 1.5 and 1.75, weight wise about 550Gr. So the plain Marathon and the Top tourer 200 fit the bill nicely, but their  treads seem to smooth for me for unpaved roads.  Which is what I enjoy riding the most

Since my back tire wears much quicker as my front tiers and my punctures are many on the back as well, I’m thinking about going A-symmetric. A lighter nimble tire at the front, maybe a XR 1.75 or Hurricane and a father tier at the back, can’t think of anything else then a XR 1.9, but I wish they were lighter/faster.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stijn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version