Author Topic: Some people have all the luck in the world  (Read 225 times)

Andre Jute

Some people have all the luck in the world
« on: October 05, 2024, 10:32:49 PM »
This probably belongs in "Muppets" but this fellow is too lucky to be a muppet. From one Chris Crofts, found on my Facebook Page:

"I scored big time and found a speedhub at a thrift store for $6 back in January and I've been running it on my Frankenstein ebike ever since. I absolutely love it and I'm thoroughly convinced it's superior to cassettes. It only weighs a few ounces more than my old Advent X setup.
04 Kona Stinky
Bafang BBS02 750 watt
52v battery
27.5 Yari 170mm
Rohloff is laced to a 26 so it's a mini mullet"

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Some people have all the luck in the world
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 03:12:50 AM »
Yeah, I saw that as well, Andre and all I can do is congratulate him on a fabulous find! Wow, just...wow.

I'm guessing the Rohloff laced in a wheel was offered by someone or some shop that had no idea its value...perhaps a thrift shop or an estate sale or some such, perhaps as a spare apart from the original bicycle. I've seen some very aggressively priced high-value items offered on "revenge sales" after divorces. Those can be pretty brutal..things like USD$3200 golf club sets for $50, along with racks of clothing, hobby items and a burn barrel setup and going in the far end of the yard emitting Very Expensive Smoke. I once saw a very nice, well-maintained Porsche from the 1980s sold for $2500 at one of these spousal closeouts.

At any rate, this ranks right up up there with classic "barn finds" of high-value collector and vintage cars. I'm still looking for that mint-but-for-barn-dust Mercedes 300SL (W198) Gullwing....

Best, Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 02:08:45 PM »
I once saw a very nice, well-maintained Porsche from the 1980s sold for $2500 at one of these spousal closeouts.

Not for sale, but the same idea:  A high-end something-or-other once whizzed by me on the crosstown autoroute, its rear custom licence plate proclaiming "Was His".

Mike Ayling

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 01:28:24 AM »
Magnificent vanity plate John!

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2024, 04:27:21 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Gotta find/make humour wherever/however you can, I guess.  I enjoyed it, and it's stuck with me for some years.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2024, 08:34:27 AM »
I once saw a very nice, well-maintained Porsche from the 1980s sold for $2500 at one of these spousal closeouts.

Not for sale, but the same idea:  A high-end something-or-other once whizzed by me on the crosstown autoroute, its rear custom licence plate proclaiming "Was His".
My two favourite plates are;
Nae 2 bad
&
HOP 1N

Such vanity plates sell for £10,000+
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2024, 12:19:11 PM »
I was forwarded that facebook post, along with an offer of ten times as much for each of my hubs!   
Amazing for anyone who genuinely finds something of value being given away. But whenever I read such stories, I can't help feeling there might be a sadder story that led to it.