Author Topic: Anyone using Thorn Touring handlebars  (Read 268 times)

Andyb1

Anyone using Thorn Touring handlebars
« on: September 30, 2024, 07:32:31 PM »
I hope to take my Sherpa to India this winter.   I usually ride with almost straight MTB type handlebars (5 degree rake, shortened from their standard length) and bar ends.   This gives me several different hand positions.

To give me more leverage on rougher surfaces I bought a set of Thorn Touring handlebars which are wider and have about a 30 or 40 degree rake - then looked at the Thorn Bible where it says not to use bar ends with these.   Not quite sure why not?  Except that they would point outwards rather than straight ahead.

Does anyone else use Thorn Touring ‘bars - do you use bar ends or do you find one hand position ok?

Thanks
AndyB1

in4

Re: Anyone using Thorn Touring handlebars
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2024, 10:05:26 AM »
I use these on my Nomad and have Ergon GP5s on them. Works great and there are fine tuning options too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/thorn-exp-flat-handlebar-125-deg-318mm-clamp-680mm-black/

Andyb1

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2024, 12:01:43 PM »
Thanks in4.  What I have at the moment is similar to what you are using, but I have the simpler Ergon GP2 bar ends.

These are the ones I am going to try:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/thorn-mk2-comfort-handlebars-254mm-clamp-620mm-satin-black/

Rake is much less than I estimated at 18 degrees.  620mm wide.  Very good feedback for comfort.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 05:05:50 PM by Andyb1 »

julk

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2024, 01:25:53 PM »
Andyb1,
I use the Mk2 comfort ones you are going to try and find that I don’t need bar ends
I use Ergon GP1 BioKork grips which I find really supportive and comfy so avoiding having to change hand position.
All the best.
Julian

Andyb1

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2024, 05:05:08 PM »
Thanks Julk, that is good to know.   What sort of distances have you ridden with them in a day?

I have fitted my ‘bars and on a short ride they seem fine - I am just using some cheapo ebay ergonomic grips which were in my box of bits.  Surprisingly, despite the extra width, it was more difficult getting the bell and speedo positioned due to the bends.  They certainly give a bit more leverage than the flats and the weight of the handlebar bag seemed less noticeable.

On Page 18 on the SJS Bible it says that bar ends will not fit as the straight lengths of these bars are too short.  This might be true of the earlier types of bar ends but I think my Ergon GP2s will just squeeze on if needed.

I need to go for a much longer ride to see how they feel over a distance.

energyman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2024, 08:25:33 AM »
All my bikes have them, next to sliced bread they are the best !

julk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2024, 02:14:40 PM »
Andyb1,
My longer trips were self sufficient camping with full gear, probably limiting me to about 50 miles a day on tarmac usually, allowing time in camp each end and shop as necessary for food/drink. 2 weeks elapsed maximum trip.
I have had other handlebars over the years but I still prefer and use the Mk2 comfort bars - they will see me out…
Julian.

Andyb1

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2024, 02:58:39 PM »
Thanks Both for the replies - good to know they are comfortable over longer distances.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2024, 04:35:27 PM »
Andy, a cross-reference from another variant of Life on Two Wheels, one which confirms the comments above: 

I've never used or even held a set of Thorn Touring bars, but a decade-plus ago, when I was spec'ing my Raven, I looked closely at the rise and sweep of the touring bars. They matched almost exactly two motorcycles I had at the time. One was a mid-'80s BMW 800cc touring bike, on which I crossed North America east-to-west and back, and from Ottawa to the Carolinas and back, and covered many other shorter but still demanding distances. The bars were perfect: my criterion of excellence in these matters is that I don't think about them.

The second bike was altogether different: an ex-comp 1957 350cc AJS scrambler, which I restored over a couple of decades, completing it in 2002.  I kitted it out for street use, and used an after-market bar which was (near as I can tell) identical to the Thorn Touring bars.  I chose this bar before I owned the airhead or even knew about Thorn bikes.

All this to say that there's evidently some common knowledge floating around in the two-wheeled ether, which specifies What Bars Work Well for Comfortable Touring.  (Obviously the grips on my two motorcycles differed from the recommendations above.)

Cheers,  John

PS:  I used drop bars on my Raven, and have them on my Mercury Mk 3 as well -- a personal preference, linked to The Headwind Problem. (Not an issue with my BMW, which had a full fairing.  I used the Ajay only for shorter rides.)

Andyb1

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2024, 09:01:55 PM »
Thanks for writing John, very interesting.