Author Topic: Options to add more handlebar/dashboard estate to fix stuff  (Read 2156 times)

flocsy

Hi, I'd like to ask how you increased the space you can use to fix things to your dashboard.
My current setting is only the handlebar, with the Vaude handlebar box attached in the middle (with the KLICKfix adapter) (pic #1, #2)

The main issue I have is that I have this light (pic #3) that is pretty heavy because of it's big battery (but in turn I can use it in the camping as well). Last year I had no better place so I fixed it on the fork but it was not the best, it fell once in the middle of the road, and it's moving a bit so I fiugure I'd rater have it in a place where I can reach it during the ride and adjust it as needed. Currently I don't have space for it on the handlebar, but even if I had the Vaude bag would obscure it completely, because it's so high relative to the handlebar.

I was looking at the Thorn T-shaped bars as a possible addition, which would enable me to move the handlebar bag down, but I have some questions:

- is it convenient? Looks like the gear and break cables would interfere with it both when I need to attach/detach it (2-3 times a day - morning/night and shopping) and even more so when opening it. I don't feel like there's a chance that this will work out. I would break the cable pretty soon, and it would not be accessible during the day (couldn't open it) - see pic #4 where you can also see that the stem is currently turned "upside-down", this is my current setup.

- is it strong enough to hold a fully packed heavy bag or it's better to use it only for light items, like bike computer, light?

- if I decide to go for it, which one? I see there are different angles and length.

I'd be happy to hear ideas, and from your experience.

JohnR

flocsy

Re: Options to add more handlebar/dashboard estate to fix stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2024, 04:37:44 am »
Yes, this, or one of the similar T-shape bars. There are 55, 105, 172mm long and 0, 22, 45 degree angle. Maybe even more choices

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2024, 09:21:25 am »
I think you are asking about using the 55m Accessory T Bar for mounting a handlebar bag?

Did that on my Nomad Mk II.  I use drop bars.  See photo.  It is strong enough for my heavily loaded handlebar bag.

I have also used one on my road bike.  Second photo.

UKTony

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 02:16:36 pm »
The photo  shows the Thorn Mk2 105mm accessory T bar on my Mk2 Nomad with the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Compact bar bag mounted using the Ortlieb mounting bracket. The Mk2 bar is 25.4mm Dia, compared with the Mk 1 at 22.2mm Dia, and the Ortlieb mounting bracket fits it nicely.

The Compact bar bag is 17cm wide and  doesn’t interfere with the shifter cables whereas my larger Ultimate 6 is 23.5cm wide and the cables do touch it but not enough to worry me. If I thought I needed to rectify this I could fit wider handle bars (the Thorn Flat Track bar fitted is cut quite short to 510mm so the distance from the centre of the handlebar to the centre of the shifter cable stops is only 105mm) so I could move the shifter, and hence the cables, a few cm to the right or I could shorten the shifter cables a little, or a combination of both.

In the alternative, Ortlieb also sell an extension block which is another option to shift the bar bag further forward to clear cables.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-ultimate-4-5-mounting-extension-block-oe165/

flocsy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 12:24:00 pm »
I have a "mountain bike handlebar" (not a drop bar) and the Vaude handlebar bag which is almost as big as the bigger Ortlieb, and more importantly opens on the back side.

Looking at the clearance from above it looks to me that if it would be lower and any closer to the fork (more to the back of the bike) then opening will be impossible because the break leavers will block it.

So maybe I'll need to think about something else. Like adding the 105mm T-bar, with the highest drop angle, and attach the lap to it.

UKTony

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 12:58:55 pm »
Here are photos of the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 attached to the T bar. I’m guessing that your bars are also Thorn flat track bars with V brake levers similar to mine.
This bag also open from the back. There is ample clearance to open it

UKTony

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2024, 01:00:41 pm »
Further two photos….

in4

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2024, 02:14:12 pm »
Another bar bag photo with T-bar and Thorn Expedition bars.
I’ve some Altura Orkney rear panniers but the Carradice Super Cs ( shabby chic patina ) remain my first choice. Ortlieb Sports Rollers on the front when needed.

PH

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2024, 02:15:21 pm »
The photos above indicate to me that a T-bar would do what you're asking, though if it's easier to obtain, you can achieve the same with an additional stem and section of bar. 
Just a couple of comments.  Vaude bar bags always seem to sit higher on the brackets than Ortlieb ones, just bear that in mind when making comparisons.  I wouldn't worry about cable conflict, you need to avoid acute turns, but getting them to bend round obstructions isn't usually a problem.  I didn't find the lower bag less convenient, apart from if I had notes or directions on top of it, it's easier to read on the bars. If the issue is where to put the light, properly mounting it on the fork crown might be a simper solution.  There's a choice of brackets to do this, here's one
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/busch-muller-light-bracket-for-fork-crown-254mm-mount/

I like to have two lights, the main one on the crown and a boost light on the bars, I went through just about every option for the bars. Smaller bar bag, light above, light below, light attached to bag, T bar, light on end of bar, helmet mount... In the end I gave up, there were compromises with all options.  Now I do the simplest and remove the bag when I want the light, though that wouldn't be an option if it was the only light. 
Bike looks great BTW

EDIT - If you went for a stem rather than T bar, you could get an adjustable one and experiment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 02:23:34 pm by PH »

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2024, 12:30:19 am »
I have a couple bikes with a second stem as suggested by Ph.

An example is attached, first photo, this uses an adjustable stem.

My bag is a decade old Louis Garneau that I modified.

You might recall that the early Shimano brifters had the cables aimed sideways towards the other brifter, and that made a mess of things if you wanted to install a bar bag.  A friend of mine use V brake noodles to reroute his cables downward, second attached photo.

And if you look at my previous post in this thread where I have my Rohloff shifter on the end of my drop bar, I used a pair of V brake noodles to reroute my cables out of the shifter, I sprayed the noodles black.

flocsy

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2024, 10:27:22 pm »
If the issue is where to put the light, properly mounting it on the fork crown might be a simper solution.  There's a choice of brackets to do this, here's one
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/busch-muller-light-bracket-for-fork-crown-254mm-mount/

I saw this in the website, but it looks not very robust to me. Based on the experience of one 10 days trip and how much the same heavy torch moved around I would be a be worried about this plastic adapter. I'd be glad to hear from someone who tried this adapter.

PH

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2024, 10:54:44 am »
If the issue is where to put the light, properly mounting it on the fork crown might be a simper solution.  There's a choice of brackets to do this, here's one

I saw this in the website, but it looks not very robust to me. Based on the experience of one 10 days trip and how much the same heavy torch moved around I would be a be worried about this plastic adapter. I'd be glad to hear from someone who tried this adapter.
I had one in the distant past, before I got dynamo lighting.  can't remember what light, though it would have been a hefty halogen.
If it fits, your fork and your light, I don't think you need to be concerned about it's strength, you could probably stand on it. Re fit, there's a few options some higher, some protrude more, some are the same thing re-branded, you do need to check that it all goes together without conflict. If you google "fork crown light mount" there's quite a choice, but I've only used the B&M

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2024, 01:05:17 pm »
Just an FYI, on my Nomad Mk II, the bolt hole that can be used to mount a light on the fork crown is not aimed precisely straight ahead, it is slightly off to one side.

If you use a metal light bracket, you can bend it.  Plastic, ... no.

For a while i used a light with a plastic mounting bracket.  To solve this I used the washers that allow you to adjust the angle on rim brake pads to get your pads precisely oriented to the rim surface. 

In the photo it is not obvious that I used those, but when you look at how long the bolt is, that is why the bolt is so long.  If my memory is correct, it is an M5 thread.

I am not saying your light would be mounted slightly to one side, just letting you know that if it is, there is an easy fix.

On most forks, there is a hole that runs all the way through the steerer tube on both sides, historically that was used for caliper brakes.  But the Nomad Mk II appears to have a drilled hole on one side and a separate threaded piece of metal welded into that hole for the light mount.