Author Topic: Luggage quandary  (Read 3126 times)

PH

Re: Luggage quandary
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2024, 07:39:16 pm »
Ph mentioned 30 liter Sport Rollers.  I was not familiar with that model, so did some searching.  On Ortlieb website did a search for Front Roller, and all I got was Sport Rollers (and some Back Rollers) in the search.

So, looks like Front Rollers are now called Sport Rollers.  Still listed at 25 liters total for the pair. 
I've been robbed! I thought they used to be advertised as 30L but can only find one place still doing so:
https://www.bike-treks.co.uk/products/ortlieb-sport-roller-classic-30l-pair

They changed the name from Front to Sport before I bought mine about 25 years ago, I think it was just Ortlieb acknowledging many people were using them on the rear.  I don't think they made any changes other than the name.
I've never considered the fabric holding the strap to be fragile, though I note on later models (As in the link above) it's been replaced by webbing.  I think an advantage when strapping something there is for it to be in some way squidgy, them the strap doesn't have to be tight to dig in and stop it moving fore and aft.

in4

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2024, 09:15:17 pm »
Up there last year! Fabulous place. I cycled from a swamp/campsite at Kilchoan. Hope the Mozzies are few. Apparently there’s a lot around Fort William and Ullapool.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2024, 07:15:31 pm »
Up there last year! Fabulous place. I cycled from a swamp/campsite at Kilchoan. Hope the Mozzies are few. Apparently there’s a lot around Fort William and Ullapool.
Might you mean midges?

in4

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 09:18:45 am »
Correct. That’s my time in AU showing up.

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2024, 11:19:32 am »
Ph mentioned 30 liter Sport Rollers.  I was not familiar with that model, so did some searching.  On Ortlieb website did a search for Front Roller, and all I got was Sport Rollers (and some Back Rollers) in the search.

So, looks like Front Rollers are now called Sport Rollers.  Still listed at 25 liters total for the pair. 
I've been robbed! I thought they used to be advertised as 30L but can only find one place still doing so:
https://www.bike-treks.co.uk/products/ortlieb-sport-roller-classic-30l-pair

They changed the name from Front to Sport before I bought mine about 25 years ago, I think it was just Ortlieb acknowledging many people were using them on the rear.  I don't think they made any changes other than the name.
I've never considered the fabric holding the strap to be fragile, though I note on later models (As in the link above) it's been replaced by webbing.  I think an advantage when strapping something there is for it to be in some way squidgy, them the strap doesn't have to be tight to dig in and stop it moving fore and aft.

I bought my Front Rollers about 15 years ago before the name change.  You bought your Sport Rollers about 25 years ago after the name change.

One of us must have a time machine. 

The first trip I used mine was in fall 2010, which also happened to be my first trip with my Sherpa. 

Disregard the blue tape on the frame in the photos, I put that on to prevent chaffing from the rack that held the frame on the back of a vehicle for a long drive to and from the trip location.  It was later that I realized the tape was not necessary.  The rack had worn the paint off of my Surly, but the Surly apparently used softer paint than the Sherpa.  Tape was not necessary on subsequent trips with the Sherpa.

deejayen

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2024, 12:41:42 pm »
I'm not sure about the product on that Bike-Treks page.  The picture and product name is of the Sport Roller Classic, but the description mentions Sport Packer Classic, which could be where they've got the 30 litre capacity from.

PH

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2024, 03:25:54 pm »
I bought my Front Rollers about 15 years ago before the name change.  You bought your Sport Rollers about 25 years ago after the name change.

One of us must have a time machine. 

The first trip I used mine was in fall 2010, which also happened to be my first trip with my Sherpa. 
If I had a time machine I'd hope to put it to better use.... more likely to be a fuzzy memory. it was these blue one I bought 25 years ago (Actually 27) they were sold as Front.
loaded raven by Paul, on Flickr

By the time I bought the grey ones, somewhere around 2013, some places were calling them Sport, at least in Germany where mine came from.  Maybe there was some overlap in the naming (Intentional or not), maybe someone remembers when the lighter Plus type were introduced (I'm pretty sure these were never called Front)  I thought the name changed at the same time as the branding on the front, though I could be wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if some retailers still refer to them as Front, it's just a name, the main point is it ought to have been established by now that they're suitable for use front or back.

mickeg

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2024, 12:15:43 am »
I have still been calling them Front Rollers.  Since Ortliebs last almost forever, I rarely look at their website to learn of any changes.

If I had a time machine, my stock investments would have been soooooooo much better.

For quite a few years now Ortlieb has told European and UK based retailers to not ship to USA.  The USA retailers that were maintaining a very large markup complained to Ortlieb that they were being undercut by UK and European based retailers.  But my Ortliebs pre-date that, all of my Ortlieb products are over a decade old and came from UK.  Even with high shipping costs from UK (pre-brexit) to USA, it was cheaper to buy Ortliebs from the UK and pay the high shipping costs.

If I pull up an Ortlieb product on the SJS website now, no price is listed and it says this:
Please note this product has selling restrictions to your country.