Author Topic: Standard shift cable in twist shifter?  (Read 932 times)

hendrich

Standard shift cable in twist shifter?
« on: June 02, 2024, 01:43:34 pm »
Hi, we have a tandem which splits and has cable splitters. The rear cables to the EX box on the rohloff were fraying at/in the EX box, so I replaced (6 years old). We are soon off on a long tour so I checked other cables, specifically in the twist shifter. They are simple to inspect after removing the cable stops and showed no sign of fraying. I noticed that the lug ends on the cables are Rohloff specific, significantly smaller than standard ends. We carry extra standard shift and brake cables that I thought would allow repair on the road. However, I suspect a standard shift cable would not work in replacement of a cable to the twist shifter.

Would someone know if a Campy or Shimano shift cable (Campy smaller lug than Shimano) will work in a twist shifter?
Thanks!

UKTony

Re: Standard shift cable in twist shifter?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 02:11:44 pm »
I don’t know about Campy but if a Rohloff shifter cable set is not available, instead of Rohloff’s own shifter cable sets you can use conventional 1.1mm stainless steel  GEAR inner cable running in standard 5mm dia  BRAKE cable housing. I’ve always used Rohloff cables and their own cable end caps which I think have some kind of sealing arrangement inside but I dare say standard 5mm brake cable outers end stops would work.

PH

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 07:43:24 pm »
You'd think that such a question would have a simple definitive answer, but SJS sell both the Rohloff branded cable and also a Transfil one which they market as Rohloff suitable, while the Thorn "Living with a Rohloff" document says that a standard gear cable fits.  I chose to use either of the recommended ones, for me there's no advantage in doing otherwise.  Cables are the sort of thing I like to have available, so it's not like I have to rely on the local bike shop to stock the right ones.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2024, 01:11:20 am »
To resolve minor fitting problems with leaded cable ends, I carry a small automotive ignition points file (Niehoff brand for the win!) as part of my kit, though even an emery board will get you most of where you need to be if there is a mismatch. Often, the molds for leaded ends can wear so a small amount of lead leaks out of the mold to produce sprue which inhibits a proper fit. Whisking that off can make for a better fit as can reducing the diameter.

Best, Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 12:28:39 pm »
I think I used cables that meet Shimano specification in my Rohloff shifter.  I am quite sure they are not the Rohloff ones.  Last time I changed cables, I made sure that I had a third one of the correct length to carry on tours, I do remember that.

I do not think they are the Campy ones, but I have a lot of Campy cables from a clearance sale several years ago since I have two bikes with Campy brifters.  So I might have used Campy?

ADDENDUM:

I wrote this in July 2016 on this forum:

4.  When I changed the cables a couple days ago, I used standard 1700mm cables, I think they had the Shimano heads, the head was 4.3 mm in diameter.  I found that my cables were slightly too long.  Instead of cutting the cables shorter, I added about 1 to 1.5 cm of outer housing instead to get the cable length right.  (I used electrical tape to tape the housing together.)  This way, when I carry a spare cable, a 1700mm cable (hopefully?) will be exactly what I need without needing it cut.

https://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11921.0

« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 12:38:18 pm by mickeg »

hendrich

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2024, 08:40:49 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the information. Great to have this forum of many knowledgeable Rohloff users.