Author Topic: Backward progress  (Read 1760 times)

Andyb1

Backward progress
« on: May 31, 2024, 06:18:08 pm »
Usually over time manufacturer’s improve their products but I really can not understand the current craze for clear plastic valve covers.   They look OK, but no better than a coloured one……but when you drop them they disappear!
And just to reinforce the point, all the spare ones I have in a little jar of valve parts are black or coloured - as those don’t get lost.

in4

Re: Backward progress
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 08:11:48 pm »
Agreed. I grip them between my teeth to save losing them in the grass/dirt.

PH

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 11:25:48 pm »
Do you need them?  I tend to put them on if they're there, but not bother if they get lost, I've considered their main function to be protecting the tube when it's folded in storage.

Andyb1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 07:33:19 am »
The valve covers are probably not so important on Presta valves, but with Schrader valves they keep the dust out and help keep the air in if the valve fails suddenly (eg from a shock load).

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 02:29:35 pm »
I saved several bright yellow ones from previous tubes and bring them over to new tubes as required. The smallest of my dogs usually finds the transparent ones when I lose them on the patio. He chews them up then spits them out!
Brian.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2024, 08:08:06 pm »
Buy a small bottle of nail polish in your favorite color.  Brush included inside the cap for convenience.

I use black for touching up wear spots on racks.  But if you think clear is hard to find, black is not much of an improvement.  Maybe hot pink would be easy to spot?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 08:56:02 pm »
My long day-into-night randonneur rides mean I often include a wearable LED headlight in my kit so I can effect repairs in what otherwise would be moonlight or dark of night.

After one 02:00 puncture where I spent more time looking for my presta valve cap than I did repairing the puncture, I wrapped a thin strip of self-adhesive reflective tape around each cap and never had to hunt again as they showed brightly in the sweep of my light. Did the same for my black tire levers and put an additional spot on my patch kit.

Sure made life easier!

Best, Dan.

in4

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 11:08:17 pm »
For UK posters the LED headlamp from Screwfix is rechargeable via USB , cheap and in my experience better than a Black Diamond model. All the better for seeing  your taped or nail varnished caps.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 08:39:59 am »
I use gold-coloured metal valve caps. They make it easier to both see where the valve is on the wheel and where the cap is when I've put it on the ground.

Tiberius

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 12:25:35 pm »
I have red Rohloff and SON 28 hubs so it's red dust caps.

I know, pathetic... :)

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 10:06:21 pm »
Wowsers!!  Flash gear!

Me, I'm a simple black-and-silver sorta guy  ;)

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 11:57:30 pm »
Yah, the last few tubes came with clear caps. I have seen a few specialty ones.
Whatever, the ones actually used on all my bikes are METAL and old from pre 1970s, maybe 1950s. I make sure one of the 2 has a valve core tool end.
Not using caps at all is the ultimate lameness. LOL.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2024, 08:59:52 am »
My Slime tubes ones are bright green.