Author Topic: Thank you Brooks saddles  (Read 603 times)

Andyb1

Thank you Brooks saddles
« on: February 06, 2024, 09:05:58 pm »
I quite surprised myself with riding about 3500 miles over the last 12 months on 4 different bikes, but while out riding today I converted that to time.  At my leisurely 11mph it equates to a little over 13 complete days in the saddle!   Thankfully I usually ride with a very comfortable Brooks Conquest with springs to smooth the bumps.  Thank you Brooks.

julk

Re: Thank you Brooks saddles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 05:39:40 pm »
I cannot compete with the riding,, but what I do is on identical saddles - Brooks Conquest - recommended.
Julian

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 10:53:04 pm »
Brooks B73. An excellent investment in thousands of miles ridden in comfort.

martinf

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 08:39:11 am »
Brooks B66 Champion, old model with softer springs.

Still comfortable after 35 years of use and 68,000 kms on my old utility bike.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 02:35:36 pm »
I have a Conquest on my folding bike, light touring bike, medium touring bike (Sherpa), heavy touring bike (Nomad Mk II), and randonneuring bike.

That said, I do not think the springs do much for bumps, but they do help on rough pavement that is more of a rough vibration.

I have a Brooks Pro on my road bike.  I think the Conquest and Pro are almost identical, except the Pro lacks springs. 

If I sat more upright a flyer or B17 might be my preferred saddle, I have used them, but they were uncomfortable when I used the drops on drop bars.  All the bikes that I have a Conquest or Pro on use drop bars.

I have tried two Cambium saddles, found them to be too unforgiving after about 10 miles.  That said, I have met several randonneurs that use Cambium saddles.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 05:57:00 pm »
Most of my bikes have B17 saddles or the sprung equivalents with the leather top the same shape and dimensions (B66 Champion and Champion Flyer).

The springs on the more recent Champion Flyer are significantly stiffer than the B66 Champion, so not so comfortable on bad road surfaces.

On the very upright visitor bike, which I often ride myself, I have a wider B67 sprung saddle.

And I have a lightweight Selle Italia Flite synthetic saddle that I tolerate for short distances on my lightweight Brompton, where carrying weight is an issue.

I have used Brooks Pro and Conquest saddles. I could ride all day on them, but even on drop bars and using a fairly low position I found them less comfortable than the slightly wider B17 shape. So I eventually sold them on.

in4

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 02:22:14 pm »
I had a conquest on my MK1 Nomad and it was very comfortable. I did however snap two seat post bolts using it. I probably tightened them up too much and the movement of a sprung saddle was possibly a stress too far.
Using a B17 on my MK2 Nomad has been very comfortable over many kms. I have however now changed it for a Sella Trek. I did this because it has a groove down its length and that has benefits, amongst them comfort. Of course the plastic-type covering seems less so in the warmer weather and quality padding is necessary on a tour.
I’m now thinking of trying another Brooks; I believe it’s the Imperial that has a forgiving groove. ( Unlike AC/DC who have no groove at all!)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 05:04:54 pm by in4 »

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 06:46:19 am »
I’m now thinking of trying another Brooks; I believe it’s the Imperial that has a forgiving groove. ( Unlike AC/DC who have no groove at all!)
The B17 Carved has a slot in the middle.