Author Topic: USA in 6 months  (Read 12371 times)

John Saxby

Re: USA in 6 months
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 03:52:45 am »
On the matter of Ursacks & related bags:  Over the past several years I've used the robust plastic Loksak and Opsak bags for food storage.  They're advertised as odour-proof and, with a double seal at the opening, waterproof as well.

They've been durable, and while using them, I've never had any problem with critters attacking my panniers.  That said, I still don't keep any food bags in my tent overnight.

BTW, on DEET as a fire-starter:  The stuff I use comes in a small (37 ml) squirt bottle. So, no propellant. Brand name is "Ben's", made in NH.  Sez it repels black flies, but beyond that falsehood/fantasy, I've found it works quite well.

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 01:56:11 pm »
I NEVER store my food in a tent, but when camping in designated campgrounds with lots of other campers, generally the only troublesome wildlife are chipmunk sized, then I will often store my food in a tent vestibule.  But when camping in wilderness where the wildlife may be much larger, the food is never stored in the tent.

Exception, there was so little four legged wildlife in Iceland, that I often cooked in the vestibule and stored food in it, I did not worry about animals when there.  I was sitting inside my tent when I took the attached photo, the vestibule offered good wind protection where I did not have a convenient picnic table to use.  Door was open when I cooked in vestibule.  But sometimes I boiled water in the vestibule with tent door closed.  The dehydrated chili mix came from home, the small can of tomato puree was bought in Reykjavik.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 09:58:10 pm »
Regarding bug repellants, a friend who was brought up in Africa told me that chewing two cloves of raw garlic per day was very effective at repelling mosquitoes. I would expect that this approach would also be effective against other bugs and maybe other bigger critters.  The problem, he added, was that everyone needed to do the same so they wouldn't notice the stink of garlic.

WorldTourer

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 11:39:48 pm »
Regarding bug repellants, a friend who was brought up in Africa told me that chewing two cloves of raw garlic per day was very effective at repelling mosquitoes.

Africa (like anywhere, really) is notorious for folk remedies that don’t actually work; overlanders are exposed to a lot as they cross the continent. But malaria is no joke and has claimed the lives of members of our community, and doctors specialized in the region do recommend repellent with DEET.

When cycling in mosquito country, I recommend covering up with an expedition shirt over a breathable merino-wool microweight base layer, and expedition trousers (my favourite is the Fjällräven Abisko). Mosquitos can’t bite through the polycotton fabric that such clothes are normally made from.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 11:41:43 pm by WorldTourer »

jul

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2023, 03:42:38 pm »
Thanks for all this good advice. Even if i adapt most often on the spot, it is good to remember common sense rules