Author Topic: Slime  (Read 1633 times)

in4

Slime
« on: October 26, 2023, 05:37:06 pm »
I was reading about this product. Apparently you can buy inner tubes with it already in. You can also add your own slime as you think appropriate.
I also read that the slime can coagulate around a valve and potentially ruin and make removing it difficult.
Some suggest that it’s a solution looking for a problem and that if you run quality tyres with quality tubes it is unnecessary.

The sole flat I had over my recent 1500km Spain-Portugal tour was down to a faulty tube that seemed to split at a seam. ( forget the brand but it wasn’t a Schwalbe)? Of course this was inconvenient, particularly when it’s a rear tube and I was fully loaded with panniers etc. My Schwalbe Dureme tyres were very good indeed btw.

Has anyone used slime and has an experience to share?

mickeg

Re: Slime
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 08:34:50 pm »
I did a trip where there were a lot of thorns (the pointed type, not the wheeled type), fitted a suspension front fork to my Nomad Mk II and pretended it was a mountain bike.  We were doing day trips, not touring.

Lots of thorns in the area.  I had a tube failure, but it was a tube defect.  Otherwise no problems.  But, can't say if I would have had any problems if I did not use slime in my tubes first.

Slime is water based, you can use water to clean it off, which is one reason I chose that, I could add it through a presta valve with a removable core, and then clean out the valve seat, and replace the core.

Later, adding air, I was careful to avoid having air in the tube come out when I took the pump chuck off the valve, as I did not want sealant blowback.

That is the only time I used it.  I still have a bottle of it and if I was to go there again, I might use it again.

I have heard that if you have sealant on a tube, that putting a patch on the tube can be problematic.  Have heard that in a generic way, I do not know if that includes Slime or not, as I would assume if you had a tube that you washed off the sealant, dried it, that a patch would stick.  Have not tried it, but it is something to be aware of.  I would be inclined to use a bit of rubbing alcohol to wipe off the area to be patched and let that dry first.

Regarding sealant, there are several different sealants that people use for tubeless tires, but the only sealant I have bought is Slime.  Slime sealant for tubes is different than their sealant for tubeless tires, I do not know what the difference is.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 08:58:18 pm »
I would note that the various sealants (mainly Doc Blue or Stans (which may be the same)) I have used with tubeless tyres are water-soluble unless dried out. If I am changing tyres then first I suck out as much sealant as I can with a big syringe and then wash off the rest of the sealant to leave the tyres clean ready for reuse. When I'm inflating a tyre that contains sealant I position the valve to be around 45 degrees from the bottom so any sealant in the valve area will drain into the tyre.

steve216c

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 08:16:00 am »
Before I switched to Marathon Plus tyres I purchased ‚self repairing‘ tubes with slime type liquid.

The slime adds rolling resistance and the valves can be a weak point. My wife’s and my bikes had occasional unexplainable flats/slow puncture ( or so I thought) which was actually slime that had stopped the valve closing properly. I purchased a valve remover for the car style valves I prefer and would remove and clean when needed.

If you get a flat, you need to ride for it to seal. So removing elements that had pierced the tyre (glass or thorns) means tube needs a patch to seal it or you need to pump and ride immediately to seal the tube.

Although I did find a couple of unexpected slime repaired tubes over the 3-4 years I tried these, I found they were only useful in limited flat situations.

Since switching to Marathon Plus tyres and regular tubes I’ve been almost puncture free for several years. I’d personally not bother with slime or similar again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:17:33 am by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 02:47:25 pm »
I added Muc-Off tube sealant to my MTBrompton 20" Big Ben tubes. Each time I wanted to check tyre pressures I couldn't because the valves were solid with the stuff. I had to remove the valves and wash them before reinflating the tyres. I had been very careful to add the correct volume of sealant by using a large syringe to measure the exact recommended quantity. I recently discarded the tubes and started again with new tubes and new Big Ben Plus tyres. Muc-Off sealant - never again.
Brian.

PH

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 12:48:37 pm »
It works some of the time, though experiences vary about how much of the time.  When it doesn't, it makes an almighty mess and gets everywhere, not the sort of thing I'd want to deal with roadside.  I had the pre filled version on my Raven when it was a commuter bike, then after one messy experience I switched to Marathon Plus as punctures were unacceptable.  If avoiding punctures really is a high priority, I don't believe there's anything better than the M Plus.  For anything else and for all the riding I currently do, I'll choose the tyres I like and accept that punctures are the price to pay for those preferences.  I've had enough of them this year to severely test that, and remain resolute!

EDIT - An alternative is the aerosol sealants and inflators, the claim is they do the same as the permanently added sealant, you just use it when you get a flat.  I was sceptical, though having seen it used once by a delivery rider, I was impressed enough to buy a can, it's the only puncture repair I take on my delivery bike, though I'm never far from home so the risk if it fails is minimal. I haven't had the need to test it.
This is the one I've seen used and carry:
https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/bike-accessories/bike-tire-repair/pit-stop
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 03:53:44 pm by PH »