Author Topic: Transporting 620L nomad ( with/ without S&S couplers)  (Read 1598 times)

Dalbatdave

Transporting 620L nomad ( with/ without S&S couplers)
« on: October 20, 2023, 01:44:37 pm »
Hi I was just about to purchase a mk2 620L with S and S couplers but just found out that even with the couplers the large frame will not fit in the largest permissible normal luggage bag ( one advertised by SJS for £350 ish … ) so to my way of think making the couplers rather redundant…on such a large frame . Or not ??? Am I missing something … any other suggestions other than a standard bike box option ? You suggestions much appreciated!

mickeg

Re: Transporting 620L nomad ( with/ without S&S couplers)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 01:56:17 am »
I fitted my Nomad Mk II, size 590M into the S&S Backpack case, but it was not easy.  Thorn says the fork won't fit, but it worked for me.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13407.0

Perhaps it will fit in a Ritchey Break Away case?  The Ritchey case is slightly larger than the 62 inch criteria that most USA airlines use, I am in USA so I am unable to speak about airline criteria outside USA.

Most of the Ritchey owners that I have talked to said that the airlines did not charge them for being oversize, but on one occasion one Ritchey owner said he had to pay the oversize fee.  I think airlines are much more concerned about weight, their scale tells them immediately if they should charge an overweight fee.  But I have never seen an airline employee take out a tape measure.

You will see a lot of references on the internet to Ritchey Break Away bikes as fitting into a case that does not incur the oversize fee, even though the case is slightly oversize.

I have a Break Away, but I bought it shortly before Covid.  And I have only flown once since Covid, have not yet had a chance to fly with it.  But I usually fly Delta in USA, they have now canceled their oversize fee for bikes, so the airline would have no reason to measure the case size.

Dalbatdave

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 06:19:36 pm »
Thank you for your really helpful input .. much appreciated.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 06:26:47 pm »
Glad to help.  And thanks for the reply, it is nice to know that someone actually read the stuff that I took time to write.