Community > Non-Thorn Related

Is It Time to Ban Electric Vehicles -- Including e-Bikes?

(1/3) > >>

Andre Jute:
Recent events of li-ion batteries in cars and bikes mysteriously catching fire and killing people raise the question: Is It Time to Ban Electric Vehicles -- Including e-Bikes?

It'll be inconvenient. to say the least, if li-ion batteries are banned as a health hazard, among other reasons because there is no instantly available alternative (storage capacity per kilogram) ready for mass-marketing.

https://townhall.com/columnists/stephenmoore/2023/08/15/is-it-time-to-ban-electric-vehicles-n2627008

Andre Jute
Change is the only guaranteed constant.

flocsy:
If you ban electric vehicles, then you more or less kill 2 industries: vehicles and batteries. If instead you ban Li-ion batteries, then you give a big hit to both but also a boost to innovation, and at the end both industries and consumers might come out of it better than now.

JohnR:
Lithium is a potentially hazardous chemical, but so is petrol. What proportion of the fires occur during charging? I suspect that it's almost all, which highlights the need for more care during this process which needs appropriate monitoring to be built into any batteries being charged to detect any heat (and stop/reduce the charging)well before a fire starts. I'm less worried about car fires than about the house fires caused by e-bikes and e-scooters during charging. I haven't seen any published data about the brands most vulnerable to fires but suspect they are at the cheap end of the market where corners tend to be cut to keep the price down.

There was a time when there were reports of notebook computers and mobile phones with lithium batteries catching fire, usually when being charged. We didn't abandon those products. My first notebook with a lithium battery weighed about the same as the nickel battery for the computer it replaced and also ran for twice as long on battery power.

PH:
I'll go against convention and shoot the messenger.  Have a look at the source and ask yourself if you think it was published without bias.  I consider it a simple piece of anti green nonsense.
There is no case for banning EV's or batteries, there ought to be better regulation and control. There is already plenty of research being done to improve safety.

energyman:
No don't ban them just regulate the standards of manufacture to stop importation of poorly made units.
After all petrol is highly explosive and the instances of explosions is rare.
I only found out the other day that the paint around a car's filler point is antistatic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version