Author Topic: Newbie brake question  (Read 1995 times)

Blodwyn Pig

Newbie brake question
« on: August 04, 2023, 09:35:56 pm »
Hello all, thinking of purchasing a Discovery (I think) tandem, in L/S flavour s/h.   Its listed as having 'woodman' hydraulic rim calipers? I've never heard of these, are they a model of magura?  are they ok?  The seller has said that wheel removal  nescessitates ? partial deflation of the tyres. Not a huge faff, but do these have a qr mech to avoid this. ( Rear wheel has cable disc drag brake)  Also , last question, are they fixed to std canti bosses, and thus can be swapped for V brakes if desiired (QR function) , or did they have mounts in different positions?. No info on the Thorn website could be found by moi. thanks.

mickeg

Re: Newbie brake question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 01:10:19 am »
I know nothing about the brakes or the bike.

That said, on one of my bikes, the tires when inflated are much wider than the rims.  And for that reason on that bike I have to let air out of the tires before I can remove the wheel because the rim brakes would prevent the wheel from getting past the brake pads.

That might be the situation you are looking at.

PH

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 10:16:24 am »
Also , last question, are they fixed to std canti bosses, and thus can be swapped for V brakes if desiired (QR function) , or did they have mounts in different positions?. No info on the Thorn website could be found by moi. thanks.
I've never come across Woodman brakes, I'm aware of the brand, but only in the context of headsets.  I'd be very surprised if they were ever a stock item from Thorn, they're not keen on hydraulics of any sort. I'd expect the canti mounts to be standard to fit V brakes, though Thorn are good at answering such questions, maybe drop them an email, knowing the S/N from under the BB might help.
I've used Magura Hydraulic rim brakes, they have a nice feel, but I couldn't stop them squealing and the braking wasn't particularly better than standard V's.
I've also had a bike where it was only possible to get a deflated tyre past the brake, it was no big deal, just an irritation if I forgot after fixing a puncture - it's not so much the effort of inflation, more the looking like an idiot to spectators.

Blodwyn Pig

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 01:17:20 pm »
Also , last question, are they fixed to std canti bosses, and thus can be swapped for V brakes if desiired (QR function) , or did they have mounts in different positions?. No info on the Thorn website could be found by moi. thanks.
I've never come across Woodman brakes, I'm aware of the brand, but only in the context of headsets.  I'd be very surprised if they were ever a stock item from Thorn, they're not keen on hydraulics of any sort. I'd expect the canti mounts to be standard to fit V brakes, though Thorn are good at answering such questions, maybe drop them an email, knowing the S/N from under the BB might help.
I've used Magura Hydraulic rim brakes, they have a nice feel, but I couldn't stop them squealing and the braking wasn't particularly better than standard V's.
I've also had a bike where it was only possible to get a deflated tyre past the brake, it was no big deal, just an irritation if I forgot after fixing a puncture - it's not so much the effort of inflation, more the looking like an idiot to spectators.

Hi PH, know you (sort of) from other forums, yep I've never heard of them and can find nothing on them anywhere. They must be std fitment  to V brake bosses, Thorn wouldn't make a oneoff I'm sure. If they are Maguras, I've discovered that QRs are available for one side of the calipers.  I'll see how I get on, but may swap them out for V brakes. 

ps, I have discovered that Woodman, made adapters to fit V barkes to hydraulic mounts tho.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 01:19:11 pm by Blodwyn Pig »

Blodwyn Pig

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 05:59:53 pm »
Ah, the plot thickens.  The brakes are rare Magura HS66 hydraulic rim brakes with drop bar levers. The 'woodman' bit must just be the brake booster arch.