Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

Setting up your browser to show only UNREAD Thorn Forum posts

(1/1)

Andre Jute:
At a tangent to Flocsy's interesting thread about receiving notifications:

I don't actually miss the notifications, because I have the Thorn Forum set to show only unread posts on the Forum opening page. This is easy to arrange, at least on a Mac. Open the Thorn Forum in Safari, set it up as you like (I selected unread posts) and then drag the URL of this modified page from the address slot right at the top of the Safari page into the Favourites Bar. Before you click anywhere else, first edit the URL to be shorter (I have THORN). If you don't have a Favourites Bar, on the Mac you can switch it on in the View dropdown menu of SAFARI, right at the top of the screen. Now, when you want to check the Thorn Forum, just click on THORN (or whatever you call the Forum) in the permanently visible Favourites Bar, and bingo all the new posts are shown. Before this works for them, new members should of course mark all previous messages as read, or they'll be swamped by years of unread messages, which are more usefully accessed through the powerful Search function of the Forum.

I'm sure there's are Windows and Android versions of the Favourites Bar too, which I hope someone will tell us about.

Danneaux:
Very nice workaround, Andre, and very similar to what I do on my Android, PC, and Linux-based browsers.

Thanks and best, Dan.

kwkirby01:
That's exactly what I do Andre - set my bookmark for the forum to unread posts.

Matt2matt2002:
On my forum page there is a button at the top to click for unread posts since last visit.
Is this what is being discussed?

Matt

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: Matt2matt2002 on July 14, 2023, 08:54:41 pm ---On my forum page there is a button at the top to click for unread posts since last visit.
Is this what is being discussed?
--- End quote ---

Assuming your browser is already open, you have to make up to three clicks, one to open the Bookmarks or other link to Thorn, one to open the Thorn Forum, one to open the Unread posts. My method reduces this process to one click on a button that is instantly available anytime the browser is open.

A variation for people whose browser is not open most of the time is to drag the URL for the most desired setup of the Thorn Forum out of the address window at the top of the browser window onto the Desktop -- this reduces, in your case either three or four clicks to one.

If you're shopping for a new bike, instead of unread mail, you can have the button open the Bikes for Sale page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version