Technical > Transmission

Wire slightly frade

(1/3) > >>

Matt2matt2002:
Hi folks.
Not sure how or where this happened.
One strand of the gear change cable has started to fray.
In the photo it's the one on the left.
Cables both move smoothly.
Neither are under any tension. Loose as they should be.
Before my Thailand tour I released both clips. I think it might have been there then.
Nearly 1,800 miles incident free.
Pretty sure it's not getting worse however best not to leave it like this.

Before a change of cables ( I have a spare set ), is there a temporary fix?
Solder?
Gorilla tape?

Thoughts welcome

Best
Matt

geocycle:
Obviously it needs to be changed but it could last a bit longer ok. If you want to stop it unraveling more then maybe a bit of superglue, but the strength has already reduced. When you remove the cable use the time to service the brake pivot that is hard to access behind the cable.

Matt2matt2002:
Thanks.
Super glue it is.
But I take your point; re new sooner rather than later.
And good advice about the brake pivot/ assembly.

Many thanks

Matt

PH:
I don't disagree with anything geocycle has suggested, but as an alternative suggestions:
How much bend is there in the outer cable at the front?  If that could shortened by a couple of cm, you could cut the same amount off the inner and be rid of the frayed part.

Andre Jute:
On the bike of a constant near and far tourer, probably best to replace whatever needs replacing sooner rather than later.

It is however also good to remember that the Rohloff HGB is operated by two pull-pull cables. The cables do no pushing, so their stiffness in compression is irrelevant. All the stress is in tension.

Whatever you decide to do, you have to fix the loose end immediately, even if only with a bit of electrical tape, though Geocycle's tip of superglue is tidier. The danger is that some more of the wire unwinds and starts slashing at your bike's paintwork, plastic mudguards, and any luggage you're carrying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version