Author Topic: New Style Eccentric Bottom Bracket Torque Setting  (Read 3701 times)

PH

Re: New Style Eccentric Bottom Bracket Torque Setting
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 09:55:29 pm »
I was sick of replacing transmission parts on derailleur fitted bikes - mostly due to the towpath near me turning all chain oil into grinding paste!
It may be worthwhile considering a Hebie Chainglider to further reduce this problem.
... and another thread bites the dust  ::)

chipbury

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2023, 09:42:47 am »
Morning all,

Chain gliders do seem to be a 'marmite' accessory!

I have looked at them but decided not to fit one to my bike, I'll be interested to see how many miles a chain lasts on this bike.  So far it's done almost 2000 miles and the chain wear gauge 0.75 will not fit in yet (I have a 1.00/0.75 gauge not the 0.75/0.50 type).  My last derailleur bike went through 7 chains at approx 2000miles each (at 1.00 wear).

Cheers,

Chris

PH

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2023, 11:22:37 am »
Morning all,

Chain gliders do seem to be a 'marmite' accessory!

I have looked at them but decided not to fit one to my bike, I'll be interested to see how many miles a chain lasts on this bike.  So far it's done almost 2000 miles and the chain wear gauge 0.75 will not fit in yet (I have a 1.00/0.75 gauge not the 0.75/0.50 type).  My last derailleur bike went through 7 chains at approx 2000miles each (at 1.00 wear).

Cheers,

Chris
There are numerous posts on the subject and varied approaches to drivetrain maintenance, none of them are wrong.  I subscribe to the method in some of the Thorn literature, that is to treat the three components as a single entity and replace together, rather than the derailleur thinking of sacrificing chains to protect a cassette.
Understanding what is wearing what, and why it is/isn't important, will save you much effort and expense, more than any added attachments, though the two are not mutually exclusive.  I get more life out of a chain than some on here using chaingliders and I do no more than wipe and oil when it looks like it might benefit.  I might reconsider that if my usage was anything like that of steve216c,  I'm riding in far more benign UK conditions and my Mercury  is on about 20,000km with the current set of components.

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 11:56:14 pm »
Chain life anyway depends to a very large extent on the rider. For me 4506km inside a Chainglider in a controlled experiment (using only the factory lube)  was 3x what I got BC (Before Chainglider), whereas to the next fellow, getting 8000m on a bare chain, I look like an example of his just reward overtaking a masher. My multiple of about 3 aligns with Martin's experience above, though the base BC mileages may be very different. It's a masher's lot to be amazed by the extraordinary mileages some people get on a chain or even a set of tyres.

PH

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2023, 09:55:59 am »
Chain life anyway depends to a very large extent on the rider.
There are numerous variables, but I suspect in a comparison between any two riders chain life the largest will be the point at which they consider it to be done.