Author Topic: Wired v Folding  (Read 4371 times)

KDean

Wired v Folding
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:09:46 am »
If running tubes is there any point in getting the folding version of the same tyre ?

PH

Re: Wired v Folding
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 11:41:02 am »
Minor differences, weight, possibly stiffer sidewalls.  You do need to be sure they are the same tyre, the name isn't always a reliable indicator, some Schwalbe models have different features and/or compounds between folding and rigid, the Mondial for example.
I have a few of wire bead tyres still in use, I'm in no hurry to change them, but when I am looking for tyres, the better ones do seem to be more likely to be folding.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 11:58:56 am »
Look at the tire specifications in more detail.  With Schwalbe and possibly other brands, the folding tire might have other characteristics like rubber compounds, threads per inch, etc.

Example, look at the section on ratings on the Mondial page, they rate the two differently.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-Mondial-11100308

The Dureme tire used to be available as both folding and wire bead, the folding version had much more flexible sidewalls and less rolling resistance.  And later they added a third version, a folding version that was labeled "Tandem Ready" that had much more rolling resistance than the other folding version.

The Vittoria Randonneur tire is known to have high rolling resistance, but I am running the Pro (folding) version (discontinued) on my rando bike, the folding version had more threads per inch and I am pretty happy with it. 

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:24:12 pm »
A folding tyre is cheaper to post, easier to store and compact enough to take on tour as a spare if going to remote places.

KDean

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 12:32:25 pm »
flip , I've just ordered wired Mondials .

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 04:33:37 pm »
A folding tyre is cheaper to post, easier to store and compact enough to take on tour as a spare if going to remote places.

And I'd add to that, folders are vastly easier to remove & reinstall.  I don't have any wired tires; if I did, the arthritis in my thumbs would make them nearly impossible to remove. (That may be an issue mainly for those of us into their eighth decade.  ;))

PH

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 04:09:28 pm »
And I'd add to that, folders are vastly easier to remove & reinstall.
I generally agree, though sometimes new folders straight out the packet drive me nuts, flopping all over the place, at least wired tyres hold their shape.

in4

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 05:01:37 pm »
I’ve got some Duremes on atm. They were hard work getting on and getting seated correctly.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 05:21:32 pm »
I have had some folding tires that had supple sidewalls that I almost had trouble getting to stay on a rim long enough for me to start getting air into them.  I have blown a tube or two from trying to start airing up a tire with an overly flexible bead.

Last year there was a kid on the side of a bike path, I saw him there working on his bike while I was out for an exercise loop.  About 10 or 15 minutes later on my return, he was still there.  I stopped to see if he needed help.  He did not have strong enough hands to break the bead off of the shelf on his tubeless rim.  He had tubes, but the tires and rim were tubeless specification, the tire really wanted to stay on that rim.

I had one tire several years ago sold as a tubeless ready tire, and that tire I had trouble getting it onto my rim.  I thought I was going to break a tire lever, fortunately did not as I was about 35 miles from home.  In the future, I plan to look for tires that specifically are not sold as tubeless since I am sticking with tubes.

KDean

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 10:55:22 am »
And I'd add to that, folders are vastly easier to remove & reinstall.
I generally agree, though sometimes new folders straight out the packet drive me nuts, flopping all over the place, at least wired tyres hold their shape.
Last night I was fitting a new Vittoria mezcal tyre to my surly Ogre & it wouldn't have happened with out my compressor .

in4

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 07:59:50 pm »
I did see a useful video not so long ago re fitting tyres. The presenter used a strap ( bit like one from a Carradice bag) to ‘tie’ the tyre to the wheel; holding it in a place whilst using his hands to get the rest on.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 10:03:10 pm »
I did see a useful video not so long ago re fitting tyres. The presenter used a strap ( bit like one from a Carradice bag) to ‘tie’ the tyre to the wheel; holding it in a place whilst using his hands to get the rest on.

Yes, I discovered that tip a while back.

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 11:09:09 pm »
Likewise -- I use one of my trusty QR rubber ties. 

(After I discovered them abut 25-30 years ago, I asked myself, "How did I ever manage life without these?" ;) )
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:11:59 pm by John Saxby »

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 09:46:42 am »
I've used straps and then velcro cable ties until I discovered the Schwalbe tyre levers which can be clipped on a rim to hold a partly fitted tyre in place while struggling with the rest. Highly recommended.

Edit: I've attached a photo showing it in action.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 06:39:48 pm by JohnR »

PH

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 03:59:59 pm »
I've used straps and then velcro cable ties until I discovered the Schwalbe tyre levers which can be clipped on a rim to hold a partly fitted tyre in place while struggling with the rest. Highly recommended.
I have a set of those and never realised that was a feature, if I could remember where they were I'd give it a try.  Luckily all my tyres come off and refit roadside fairly easily and at home I'll reach for some toe straps if new ones are proving troublesome.
The video in4 might be thinking of could be this one for the dreaded Marathon Plus, I offer my own advice for dealing with those, involving a bin and ordering some better tyres...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:01:34 pm by PH »