Author Topic: Fitting a Rohloff to a Thorn Club Tour Mk4  (Read 6982 times)

PH

Re: Fitting a Rohloff to a Thorn Club Tour Mk4
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2023, 11:03:04 am »
+1 for rim brakes. Just changed front and rear pads (css rim) on tour. Quick and easy: a consideration when in the middle of nowhere, even Wupwup or Kickatinalong!
Have you ever done so on a disc brake?  Quicker and easier and with hydraulics there's no readjustment required.

mickeg

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2023, 11:22:52 am »
+1 for rim brakes. Just changed front and rear pads (css rim) on tour. Quick and easy: a consideration when in the middle of nowhere, even Wupwup or Kickatinalong!

What pads did you put on?  Specifically I am curious, did you stay with the pads made for CSS or did you use regular pads? 

My CSS pads are near the end of their life span, thus I may have to change pads later this year.  I think my CSS rims are polished enough that I might try regular pads.

PH

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2023, 01:53:24 pm »
What pads did you put on?  Specifically I am curious, did you stay with the pads made for CSS or did you use regular pads?
Can't answer for in4 obviously, but on my CSS rims I stopped using the specific blocks once the rims had worn smooth, probably after the first set, maybe the second.  I use either Koolstop Salmon or BBB Tri-Stop, no difference in braking, the Koolstop last a bit longer, the BBB's usually cheaper.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 01:58:02 pm by PH »

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2023, 12:18:29 pm »
Can't answer for in4 obviously, but on my CSS rims I stopped using the specific blocks once the rims had worn smooth, probably after the first set, maybe the second.  I use either Koolstop Salmon or BBB Tri-Stop, no difference in braking, the Koolstop last a bit longer, the BBB's usually cheaper.

Thanks.

DIAGMONKEY

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2023, 06:40:13 pm »
PH. For what it's worth, I found that there was not much difference between the wider bars I am currently using vs the narrow ones with bar ends that I tried first, when going through the barriers. Even with narrow drops I still have to unclip one foot and wriggle the bike through. So far I have not had to get off the bike to get through. On my commuting route I have 5 barriers and once I got my technique sorted I get through them all with no problems.