Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

Riding in the rain clothes

(1/5) > >>

ourclarioncall:
Open question to all but my mind is probably thinking uk weather

I’ve thought on and off over the last few years about a complete biking system

Clothing included

What do I do when it rains ?

From my tiny experience, goretex is great stuff and works , but eventually will wet out, probably like most or all jackets out there

The only thing I’ve seen that is supposed to genuinely waterproof and will not wet out is the goretex shakedry stuff that came out a few years back . Expensive but good stuff

It is apparently being discontinued or has been .

The company “gore” have made a cycling version, a running version and a hiking version. Some you can’t get now. They all have slightly different cuts and thicknesses of material. The hiking version bring a little tougher to cope with back packs.

Again, I have a good softshell goretex north face jacket but it wets out after a while and feels cold/damp and I just your heat/sweat is building up if the moisture can’t escape .

So yeah, my best solution at the moment is buying some used shakedry and keeping it in the pannier until if and when the rain comes on

Unfortunately they don’t make shakedry trousers . Well I haven’t seen any

So what to do about covering the lower half is an issue.

I’ve had a pair of gore paclite goretex cycling pants in the past and basically just lived in the all the time as regular trousers , then with my goretex jacket I was completely covered in case of rain . Had goretex shoes too by berghaus.

I wore these trousers out but may buy another pair as they were light and did they job. They wet out too tho and felt cold and clammy against the skin

My other thought was , is there a thin light goretex suit out there that could withstand a heavy Scottish downpour ?

I also heard of a guy who was up Ben Nevis multiple time who I think used goretex leggings/tights (whatever you call them ) underneath probably just a regular pair of hiking trousers . I’m guessing if it rains his trousers get wet but his legs stay dry coz of the goretex underneath

For shoes I’ve had a look at goretex overshoes . Never used them . I hear some use waterproof socks

So I don’t know

I know I don’t like wet feet or shoes , and got to watch the rain running down into the top of the shoe /boot

As uk folk will know how quickly weather can change and I reckon being out in the open road in the middle of nowhere could potentially be deadly for a person not properly equipped. Cold wind and rain can just suck the heat out of you and turn the mood grim. Difficult to function if your hands and feet are cold and numb. And doing any repair work on a bike would be tough when your hands are like that.

oh never mentioned gloves.

Any thoughts ? Have you found a solution for staying comfortable in an hour or two of heavy rain/wind etc in cooler temperatures .

John Saxby:
Ah, jeez, that's a big 'un.  Probably best to follow advice from folks closer to Scottish weather than those of us whose families said Goodbye To All That some years back...

FWIW, tho:

1)   I've found Ground Effect gear, from NZ, to be top-notch stuff.  https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/  Expensive, but beware false economies in this domain.

2)   Tights:   I've had great success with a MEC product, which I've had for 10-12 years now.  As per usual practice, they no longer offer it, but this sounds like a reasonable choice, or at least a reference point: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6017-197/hydrocycle-pants?colour=Deep+Navy

3)   Booties:  I've had good success with Sugoi, with a slight nap on the inside for warmth in cold'n'wet.  Make sure you have enuf overlap betw cuff of your tights and top of booties.

4)   Gloves:  Suggest you think first of "hand coverings", rather than "gloves". After decades of Canadian winters, I've never found a pair of gloves that work well for me in cold weather, for any activity -- mitts of varying thicknesses with liners have always been the answer.  Despite this, am currently trying out a pair of Sealskinz gloves (purchased from Ground Effect) for transitional seasons. Jury is still out: gloves are comfortable & fit well, and are good temp-wise for +4º to, say, -4º. BUT I haven't yet used them for cycling, so I don't know how they handle sweaty hands inside the gloves. And, the makers got the positioning of the velcro wrist-closure tab all wrong, so I had to get my ace tailor to change that.  :(.

For wet/cool-weather cycling, the best setup I've found so far is a "lobster-claw" over-mitt/glove (waterproof-breathable), combined with either cycling-glove inners, or light/medium wool or blend inners.

5)    Helmet cover:  lots around, inexpensive and valuable. Reflective tabs help as always, and these things are v handy in cold dry weather too.

I guess I'd also add, stop somewhere warm & dry before your hands get so cold that you can't manage your controls properly.

Good luck!

julk:
I have tried various brands for rain wear (agree Ground Effect make superb cycling clothing which I use).

The most effective in rain for me has been Paramo.

If it is not heavy rain then I find Rainlegs keep the worst off my legs.

I go barefoot in sandals - gave up socks during Lent some  years ago and  never went back to using them.
Your feet will get wet but also dry quicker than with soggy shoes on.
I don’t ride in snow!
Julian.

martinf:
For heavy rain and wind I use a Paramo Quito jacket with hood (so helmet cover not essential) and lightweight Kamleika waterproof trousers, plus neoprene overshoes. This works reasonably well in cool temperatures, but if it is warm I get soaked in sweat. On very long rides in continuous heavy rain my feet end up wet whatever I do.

If there isn't too much wind, in moderate to warm temperatures I prefer a traditional cape, combined with Rainlegs over cycling shorts.

Base layers with Merino wool stay relatively warm when damp.

in4:
Quito +1 here. I like the big hood and long pit zips. I don’t think they’re made now. Expect there’s something to take it’s place though.

Photo from road between Westport and Galway, Eire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version