Community > Thorn General

Thorn Sherpa Build

(1/5) > >>

SteveM:
There is a nice Sherpa for sale on FB.  I was thinking of investing and completely overhauling it to make a modern heavy tourer.  Of course, that’s fine in theory but upgrading to mech discs and Rohloff are not really possible in my home bike shed are they?  I just fancy taking it apart completely and rebuilding with new components just so I can learn new skills.  I also fancy a decent heavy hauler.  Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/8798144073560316/

What would you all do with this?

mickeg:
I am content to stay with rim brakes.  I built up my Sherpa in 2010.  I have made some modifications from the original build, but I kept the drive train pretty simple.  A triple crank, eight speed cassette, bar end shifters on drop bars.  Works great.

I have three touring bikes, I have not ridden this one since 2017, but I would happily use it again for the right kind of trip.  Due to the pandemic, I have not done a bike tour since 2019, but am planning two tours.

PH:

--- Quote from: SteveM on January 27, 2023, 05:19:23 pm ---What would you all do with this?
--- End quote ---
It's a decent bike at a reasonable price, assuming all the components are in good usable order. It isn't IMO an outstanding bargain, if it isn't very close to what you want and you start swapping parts and modifying, it could quickly becomes poor value. 
if you want a bike to play with, I'd look out for an old school, rigid, steel, MTB, maybe something just into modern standards, 135 OLN and threadless fork.  Should be able to find something under £100 with plenty of potential to turn it into a usable tourer.
You mention heavy duty tourer and I'm not sure the Sherpa is. I had a Raven, which was pretty much the Rohloff equivalent, certainly a very capable tourer, not at the light end, but not at the expedition end either.  Though of course you can do most things on most bikes...

SteveM:
Nice looking bike PH.  It’s kind of iconic in its full pannier set-up.

Thanks for the advice.  I could buy an old MTB to revamp but I just love Thorn bikes.  I have a Mercury which I love, but would like a more solid tourer that I can chuck at anything.

PH:

--- Quote from: SteveM on January 27, 2023, 07:09:20 pm ---Nice looking bike PH.  It’s kind of iconic in its full pannier set-up.

--- End quote ---
I think you may have mixed my post up with mickeg's.
But here's a photo on my loaded Raven from a few yeas ago.  They are good bikes loaded, I parted with mine as I wasn't doing much of that sort of touring.
loaded raven by Paul, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version