Community > Non-Thorn Related

+++Rides 2023+++Add yours here+++

(1/10) > >>

RonS:
Well, somebody had to be first. I guess it's me. Yesterday was actually my second ride of the year. The day previous I had ridden along the seashore enjoying sunshine and temps of 13C. I wasn't on the Raven, so no bike in the picture. Yesterday was quite dreary with a few showers. It wasn't particularly photogenic. If you check out the Raven, though, you'll see that it's all loaded up. This was my first test pack and ride for my upcoming retirement ride!
Sometime around the middle of August I will arrive in Sapporo, Japan and spend the next two months meandering around Hokkaido and toward the Goto Islands, at the opposite end. This will be my first full on camping tour, and I have spent the last 8 months patiently waiting for all the sales while I procured my kit.
Back to the ride. I have used the raven for half a dozen credit card tours, with only about 10kg in the panniers. Yesterday I had 12kg in my shiny new Arkel 45s (bought on sale) and had about 5kg on the front, with the tent strapped to the handlebars (Nemo Dragonfly Bikepack 2, on sale of course). I wasn't two blocks from the house before I thought, wow, this bike is amazing! I had done an overnight camping trip in September on my rando bike, with the load split between small panniers on the front low loader, a large handlebar bag, and a Carradice Nelson Longflap in the back. That trip was to see if the rando bike would be suitable for the Japan trip. It wasn't. The Raven, on the other hand, seemed to be telling me "It's about time you used me for what Andy designed me for. Let's go!" The Raven seemed happy to be carrying the load. I'll be happy to oblige.
OK. That's my story. Let's hear some more.

John Saxby:
Hey, Ron!  Good to hear from you, mate, and -- a retirement ride the length of Japan, later this coming summer.  What. Great. News!!

And, sounds as if you've properly equipped your Raven -- it will take you wherever you go, I'm sure of it.

My "Rides of 2023" will probably begin only in late April/early May -- am scheduled for my second hip surgery (left side) 6-plus weeks hence, in early March.  With any kind of luck, I'll be back on my bike around the time the ice and snow are finally gone from the roads in & around Ottawa -- by mid-April in the city, and maybe late April in the Gatineau.

Cheers,  John

PH:
Lovely photo's Ron and the bike's looking great.
Trying not to be jealous of your Japan trip.... nope failed on that one. Have you been before? I haven't, my daughter had her long honeymoon there and says it's the most fascination place she's ever been and she's far more travelled than I. Is camping popular in Japan?  I know they have a thriving cycling community, and some collectors of oddities.  A few years ago I eBay'd some obscure cycling books from paraphernalia for a club mates widow, I was surprised how many bids we got from japan and a good proportion of it ending up there. 
I know what you mean about the feel of a loaded Raven, for loaded trips I've never ridden anything like it.  Mine has long gone, I wasn't doing enough of that sort of riding to keep it.
Some good kit you've assembled, hope you found the bargains you were hoping for, is that all of it loaded?  Looks reasonably compact for a long trip.  I like the tent, probably not ideal for UK conditions, though the layout, particularly sleeping across the door is just what suits me.  Are you carrying cooking kit? I've spent years getting this wrong, either too much or not enough, I finally settled on enough to boil water and no more, though my trips are not the length of yours.... Maybe when/if I retire!

Andre Jute:
Super photos, Ron. Looking forward to your Japan trip. Never mind the cooking implements, a spare battery for the camera is essential!

RonS:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Unfortunately, I’m not retired yet, and working a compressed work week means time is precious until the weekend.
That, and my kindergarten level keyboarding skill means this is all I have time for until Saturday.
Full length post and all questions answered then.
Stay tuned!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version