Replacement for Schwalbe Marathon Supremes

(1/2) > >>

Mike Ayling:
What do you use/suggest?

I am looking for 32/35 X 622

Thanks

Mike

martinf:
There is lots of choice in "gravel" tyres in 32-35 x 622, but not so much in tyres designed for road use.

In 35 x 622:

Perhaps the Continental Grand Prix Urban Folding 35-622. This is a heavier and tougher version of the Continental Grand Prix 5000, which I have in 32 x 622.

With wire bead, there is the Continental Contact Urban, I have that in another size and, apart from having a wire bead and being cheaper, it seems to have similar characteristics to the Supreme.

Not seen a Supreme equivalent in 35 x 622 in the current Schwalbe range.

In 32 x 622:

I have the Continental Grand Prix 5000 on my old 700C lightweight. This has lower rolling resistance than the Supreme but is perhaps more fragile, although I haven't had any problems so far. There are tougher models with Kevlar beads in that size in the Continental range, such as the Continental GatorHardshell Folding.

The Continental Contact Urban wire bead tyre mentioned above is also available in 32 x 622.

In the current Schwalbe range there is the E-One, a version of the One "race" tyre designed for electric bikes, so tougher and with more puncture protection and durability.

PH:
It's a shame Schwalbe dropped the Supreme and that what looks like the replacement, the Efficiency, has limited sizes starting at 40mm.  I'm stocked up with enough tyres to last a few years, so I haven't needed to look for alternatives.  Keep in mind when looking at recommendations they the manufacturers change versions and compounds without changing the name, Schwalbe are particularly bad in this regard.  So with that in mind, here's some I've used in the past that might be worth a look at:
Schwalbe Marathon Racer - These were my tyre of choice for a number of years, used for touring, commuting and general riding, hard wearing, decent grip, reasonable rolling resistance.  The Supreme's were better in every regard, though not by a huge margin.
Continental GP Four Seasons - These are now available in 32mm, though when I used them 28's were the widest.  I used them for Audax and a couple of light tours.  These are the nicest tyres I've ever used, for my use, on my priorities, they come top of the list on everything except longevity, where they score quite poorly.  If I had the budget, or a bike that didn't see a lot of miles, it would be shod with these.
Panaracer Pasela - It's at least 15 years since I've used these, they were a tyre ahead of it's time and probably frozen in that time, other manufacturers caught up and maybe overtook them, though some people have kept the faith.  They are a good tyre, probably a bit nicer to ride than the Supreme, but they don't have the same puncture resistance, or longevity and if you use them off road the sidewalls seem vulnerable, though I never had a problem.

martinf:

--- Quote from: PH on November 03, 2022, 10:03:45 am ---It's a shame Schwalbe dropped the Supreme and that what looks like the replacement, the Efficiency, has limited sizes starting at 40mm.
--- End quote ---

As a replacement for 35 x 622 on one of my wife's bikes I found some Schwalbe Almotion in 40 x 622. Like a lot of the Schwalbe tyres they are smaller than the advertised size, these measure about 37 mm in width and height. There are two versions of Almotion in 40 x 622 in the current Schwalbe catalogue, one is heavier and is supposed to have less rolling resistance than the lighter version I ordered.

So if there is enough clearance it might be possible to fit 40 x 622 Almotion or Efficiency instead of 35 x 622.

--- Quote from: PH on November 03, 2022, 10:03:45 am ---I'm stocked up with enough tyres to last a few years, so I haven't needed to look for alternatives.
--- End quote ---

I did the same for the sizes I use most (40 x 559 and 50 x 559), and have an estimated 10 years of stock of Supremes, partly because tyres in the 559 wheel size are getting harder to find.

RonS:
  Panaracer GravelKing Slick (which aren't actually slick) and Schwalbe G One Speed both come in 35-622. They probably don't have the puncture resistance of the Supremes though. I've used both in size 42-584. I especially like the feel of the GravelKings.
  As for tires being narrower than advertised, Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly/ Rene Here Cycles has an informative article on the reasons for this happening. it's less a case of "optimistic advertising" and more a case of ISO regulations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version