Author Topic: Locks, stands and other minor stuff  (Read 6017 times)

navrig

Locks, stands and other minor stuff
« on: October 31, 2022, 08:12:30 am »
This is my umpteenth post seeking advice in advance of what will b my first long tour.

I am planning Northern Spain to Athens NOT camping so using hostels, WarmShowers and cheap hotels.  I will mostly be solo.  I will be carrying rear panniers and a bar bag with, maybe, a top bag or a drybag strapped to the rack.

I have done a short, 4 day, tour using my proposed setup but whilst that was long enough to confirm that I will have enough luggage space it wasn't long enough to experience some of the niggles which may arise over a longer tour.

I plan to cycle 5 days in every 7 taking 2 days to be a tourist and actually see places of interest.  On the days off I may cycle or may leave the bike at the hostel.

My questions:

When I ordered my bike I didn't think about the need for a bike stand.  Given my proposed setup how much convenience would I get from having a stand fixed to the frame?

My bike is a Shand Stoater - is fixing a stand an option with no risk to frame damage (I can ask this of Shand)?

I also have noticed that some people have straps which stop the front wheel swinging-in when using the stand.  Is that a necessity?

I am intending on taking a lock & cable or a proprietary bike lock.  Typically, do hostels in Europe provide bike storage?

I am also thinking of taking a cafe lock to be used when I am simply stopping for lunch, the toilet or popping into a shop.  Between that and leaving the bike in top gear I think that should be enough of a deterrent for opportunist thieves.  Any thoughts?

I have a hub dynamo with front and rear lights.  I wont use the dynamo for charging anything else. Is it recommended that I also use a flashing rear light (as a roadie I usually have 2 attached to my road bike).

I have never had a rear view mirror attached to a bike.  I definitely do not want a helmet mirror so that leaves one fixed in the bar end (drop bars) or one fixed to the drops.  What are the general preferences?

I am looking at one of these at the moment

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sprintech-racing-road-mirrors-black/

Clive.

Re: Locks, stands and other minor stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 08:20:12 am »
This https://mirrycle.com/item/original-mirrycle-mirror/ is the best mirror I've ever used. Takes away no usable space (you can ride on the hoods as normal) and the positioning for road view is superb. Drilled my brake to accept this model - never used the 'newer' version. It really is good!

martinf

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 12:08:36 pm »
For drop bars, my preferred compromise is this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/zefal-cyclop-bar-end-mirror/

Fixed on the bar end. It folds back easily when parking the bike. Cheap, and not particularly good optically, but it does the job for me.

I tried something similar to the Mirrycycle, but didn't like the brake hood attachment. The Sprintech wasn't far enough out, obscured by luggage and clothing.

My preferred mirror for viewing is this B&M:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/busch-muller-cycle-star-mirror-fits-to-handlebar-end-short-stem

Less distorsion, bigger and better-shaped mirror. But it isn't designed to fold back and is therefore vulnerable to falls or knocks.

Bike stand - I never bother. Most times there is a wall or vegetation to lean the bike against. When there isn't I lay the bike on its side on the ground.

Locks. On the bikes I use for touring I have ring lock fixed to the frame. This is my short-stay lock for things like toilet stops and popping into a baker's shop.

Complemented by a U lock and thick plastified cable, which I use to attach the bike to something fixed (lamp-post, etc) for longer stops, including supermakets. The Ortleib rear panniers can be secured by threading their wire security loops over the ring lock.

On a lightweight bike for day rides I am careful where I stop. I carry a minimalist cable lock if I don't intend to stop, this is for unplanned short stops. If I intend to have a lunch stop at a restaurant or something else where I leave the bike I carry the U-lock.

Lighting. I have fixed hub dynamo lighting, for my touring bikes two rear dynamo lamps, on the lightweights only one. In both cases a battery powered rear LED lamp as well.

When using hotels and hostels, so far they have always provided somewhere to park the bike. Once or twice I have had to carry it up stairs and put it in the bedroom.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 12:25:44 pm »
Not sure why you are opposed to a helmet mirror, that is the only one I consider, have used it for almost two decades.  First photo.  I have only been in places where we drive on the right side of the road, thus mirror is on the left side.  My mirror is not designed in a way that would make it work on the other side of my helmet.  The only thing I do not like about this mirror is when I ride east just before sunset and have the sun in my eyes, or west just after sunrise.  But, if you do not like them, then get a bike mounted one.

When touring, assuming most thieves are opportunists, I use bolt on skewers that take a 5mm allen wrench to open.  Thus, I am not too obsessive about making sure that I lock both wheels to the frame.  Any 5mm wrench will work, thus I do not worry about losing a special key, and I keep a spare wrench packed with my tubes to make sure I can change a flat.  I use Halo brand bolt on skewers.  They are a bit odd, there is only one spring, on one end there is a tab that you have to make sure you have it rotated into the slot before you tighten it.  I assume that an opportunist thief does not have a multi-wrench in their pocket.

Second photo, I carry a small lock like skiers use for those time that I run into a store.

Also, in that second photo you can see the type of side stand I use on my steel framed touring bikes.  In the photo it is folded up.  But I know nothing about your bike.  Mine is a Greenfield.

Sometimes when I park my bike, I use an elastic to lock my front wheel to keep it from rolling.  It is an elastic hair band, extra thick one.  Third photo, I have two elastic bands in use.

I typically use two taillights that are battery powered.  One is in flash mode. The other is either a spare, or if in overcast or rain the second is also in flash mode.  I have never ridden in locations where flashers are illegal, but such places exist.

Have a great trip.

navrig

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 01:18:16 pm »
Martin - thanks for your suggestions.  I'll have a closer look.  On my short tour I wasn't put off with having to find a wall or tree for holding the bike up but I did find that manoeuvring the bike, fully loaded, to the wall was awkward.  Hence my question about stands.

Mick - I have the same "ski" lock which I use from time to time.  My axles are through axles and they need a 6mm allan key to remove the wheels so a similar set up to yourself.  Your stand looks robust as it is sharing the load across two tubes rather than just the chain-stay.

PH

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 07:55:27 pm »
You're maybe in danger of overthinking this - I know it's your first big tour, but it isn't your first cycling and if you don't usually use a mirror, I see no reason you'd change that for a tour.  Likewise a stand, I don't use one, though I know others wouldn't be without, make your own mind up, though I'd consult the manufacturer before clamping anything to an expensive frame.  I don't find a loaded bike harder to manoeuvre than an unloaded one, even if I did I don't think a stand would help, you still have to get it somewhere suitable.  I find panniers make it easier to lean against something, partly because they offer a large softer surface than a frame tube and also because they're a lot less fragile than paint!  If I can't find somewhere to lean the bike I'll lay it down. 
Locks are always a compromise, my bikes are now insured so I'm always carrying something that won't be questioned by the insurers should I make a claim.  Currently a Sold Secure Gold AXA chain which is about 1.8kg.  A D lock is more secure, but a chain increases the options.  My wheels are on security skewers, not the most secure but some deterrent, I try to get the chain to include the rear wheel.  I don't carry an additional cafe lock.
I've only once failed to get reasonably secure bike storage in any accommodation, sometime they're expecting it, other times they need some degree of persuasion.  The exception was an Amsterdam hotel where they insisted the bike stay outside on the street in a public bike stand.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 07:57:33 pm by PH »

martinf

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 08:18:30 pm »
if you don't usually use a mirror, I see no reason you'd change that for a tour.

I'd agree with that.

Up till a few years ago I didn't use a mirror when cycling. A combination of hearing and frequent turning my head gave me enough awareness of what was behind me.

With avancing age I find it more difficult to turn my head and look behind. I still turn my head to look behind, but I do it less often, so a mirror is now useful.

I tried a glasses mounted mirror, this would have been the most convenient solution but I couldn't get used to it.

So I now have mirrors fitted to each bike.

martinf

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 08:32:47 pm »
I use Halo brand bolt on skewers.  They are a bit odd, there is only one spring, on one end there is a tab that you have to make sure you have it rotated into the slot before you tighten it.  I assume that an opportunist thief does not have a multi-wrench in their pocket.

I have exactly that setup on both my main touring bike and my Rohloff-equipped lightweight.

For the same reason (I reckon it slightly discourages wheel theft), and also because I just don't like quick releases.

If I get a puncture it doesn't slow me down much - I have to use my toolkit anyway to get the tyre off to change or patch the tube, so it isn't a problem to get out the necessary Allen key (for skewers) or ring spanner (for my other bikes that use Nexus or Sturmey-Archer rear hubs with nutted axles).

navrig

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 09:06:27 pm »

if you don't usually use a mirror, I see no reason you'd change that for a tour. 

I see where you are coming from however roadies very rarely use mirrors, it just isn't the thing to do!!  We like to think it's a weight thing but in reality it is a pride thing!!

However over the last few years I have found myself cycling in some very different circumstances.

For example riding in Bahrain where most drivers have almost no regards for cyclist safety and where you are given no space at all.  Whilst I didn't have any accidents I certainly felt threatened at times and know better what was behind me may have helped.

Last year I was cycling in Saigon, a city of about 12 million people and 9 million registered motorbikes.  Traffic was absolutely chaotic especially during rush hour.  A swivel head would have been the ideal solution so a mirror may have been a help.  My wife insisted that she had a mirror on her bike and she used it a lot.

Like MartinF, I am finding looking over the shoulder harder and harder so, again, a mirror may help.

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 09:16:39 pm »
+1 for the Halowheel skewers.

Locks:  For longer tours, I use a small D-lock (3") left over from my motorcycling days, plus a 10mm x 1m Kryptoflex cable with loops at both ends.  Total weight is maybe 650 gms, haven't weighed it in a while.

Stand:  I use a Click-stand, again on longer tours.  I use "Bike-brake" bands on each handlebar drop, to lock one or both brakes.

To control wheel flop, I use an 8" quick-release rubber tie, cost about 50 cents, photo below.  Another option is a narrow strap used to hold X-country skis together (15mm light webbing, maybe 10" long, with a lightly sprung toothed buckle).

Mirrors:  To each his/her own.  For years, I've used a "Take-a-look" mirror which clips onto my helmet visor.  It can go on either the right or left side, according to the side of the road I'm riding on. I've found it light, infinitely adjustable, and wouldn't be without it.  I tried several different types of bar-mounted mirrors, and ditched them all for one reason or another -- probably the main one being that they were regularly bashed when I leaned the bike against a wall.

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 09:28:02 pm »
a mirror may help

Navrig, over five decades, I logged a lot of miles on motorcycles in very dodgy traffic conditions. Never hit anything/anyone, and was never hit, but I became, er, mildly obsessive about 360º vision.

I've only been cycle-touring for the past 20-plus years, but one of the first lessons I transferred from my motorcycling days was the imperative of a rearview mirror.  I first tried bar-mounted mirrors, as above, but found that my frequent adjustments of my posture (hands & back) on my touring bike made the fixed positions of those bar mirrors less than satisfactory. (Along with the regular bashing against the walls.)

The helmet-mounted mirror isn't perfect, but handles my changes in posture much more effectively than the bar-mounted mirrors.

You may want to try a few options -- the costs aren't so great, after all.

Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:35:35 pm by John Saxby »

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »

I see where you are coming from however roadies very rarely use mirrors, it just isn't the thing to do!!  We like to think it's a weight thing but in reality it is a pride thing!!
... ...

I am in USA, I almost never see a roadie using a mirror.  But I see a lot of people bike touring with mirrors.  And a lot of randonneurs (audax) use mirrors, they spend a lot of time on roads.

I think that the roadies (1) watch too much bike racing videos and never see bike racers wearing a mirror so they of course want to look like them, and (2) usually roadies ride on roads that have very minimal traffic, thus would almost never use a mirror.  But bike tourists often are forced to ride on roads that have a lot more traffic on them, thus use a mirror more. I suspect that UCI has a rule against mirrors, thus a road racer that is in the lead a hundred meters before the finish can't use a mirror to see who is drafting them.

My neck is 68 years old, I can't quickly look directly back any more, but can slowly move my head that far, but if I do it slowly then I am no longer going in the same direction.  I no longer try to look back.

I drove a pickup truck for 17 years that had a topper on it that prevented me from seeing in my blind spots, I got very used to relying on mirrors. 

And like John S, I drove a motorcycle a lot where you like to know what is going on around you all the time. 

I had one trip to the emergency room when I stopped for a light that turned red, that is when the guy behind me that thought he could accelerate and make it through the light on amber ran into me and my motorcycle even though I had already come to a full stop.  That was over three decades ago, but I still to this day am looking in the mirror as I come to a stop at a light that is turning red because of that.

martinf

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:16 pm »
I drove a pickup truck for 17 years that had a topper on it that prevented me from seeing in my blind spots, I got very used to relying on mirrors.

I also rely on the mirrors when I drive a motor vehicule. When I trained for my bus/HGV licence I was told to check my mirrors at least every 8 seconds. That training and subsequent jobs as a bus driver also made me more aware of the blind spots around large vehicules.

On a bicycle, until recently I replaced the mirror check by looking behind (not as often as 8 seconds, but very often) and using hearing, which is very useful on a bicycle but much less useful when driving a motor vehicule.

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 09:20:09 pm »
... and using hearing, which is very useful on a bicycle but much less useful when driving a motor vehicle.

Be very careful on sound, you begin to rely on it but newer electric vehicles can be nearly silent.

I used to know a number of highway construction engineers and occasionally saw them at meetings.  They all really hated hybrid cars because they were so quiet.  The engineers oversaw construction and were used to relying on sound and sometimes would step out into a traffic lane when they did not hear any traffic coming, some of them had some very close calls.

steve216c

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 09:27:48 pm »
Just adding another point to reflect on regarding mirrors. Presumably you are UK based and therefore attuned to riding on left of road. Your head movements for checking traffic will instinctively go over your right shoulder.

In Spain you'll need to keep you wits about you. Unfamiliar roads and unfamiliar circumstances in an unfamiliar land may find you inadvertently looking over the wrong shoulder in an emergency situation which is the wrong time to wonder if mirrors might have been a good idea.

I'd suggest getting a set for the tour. You may find that you will find them a useful addition you'll keep when you return. I only recently converted to a mirror user and don't understand why I put off so long. Great inexpensive must haves in my opinion.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...