Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt Roam V2 GPS Bike Computer  (Read 2284 times)

in4

Wahoo Elemnt Roam V2 GPS Bike Computer
« on: July 30, 2023, 12:17:26 pm »
Re Wahoo Elemnt Roam V2 GPS Bike Computer

On the cusp of succumbing to a gps for touring with, I wondered if anyone is already using this particular one.

TIA

Matt2matt2002

Re: Wahoo Elemnt Roam V2 GPS Bike Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 09:05:07 pm »
Snap.
I used Komoot on my Android phone while in Thailand recently.
With temperatures over 30° most days my phone was not happy. Battery swelled and I had to replace it on my return.
Decided to go for a Wahoo as soon as finances allow.
But will be very interested to hear other folks views.

Best
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 08:22:42 am »
I have had a wahoo elemnt bolt for the last 5 years.  It works very reliably in all conditions with few frills. I like the fact it has buttons and not a touchscreen. I should say, it works for the style of riding I am currently doing.  This has become mainly day rides in UK with a few multi day tours.  Basically, I plan a route on something like Cycle.travel save it as gpx and open it in the Wahoo app which syncs with the head unit. I then have a basic black and white map which I can follow, a warning if I go off course, the usual data  and links to sensors.  When I get home it syncs automatically to Strava to save ride.  If buying again I would get one of coloured versions like the roam which should make the map easier to decipher.  My only hesitation would be for situations in remote locations where you want to use it more as a gps with detailed maps and alternate routes, there the Garmin range might be better.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 11:23:10 am »
Thanks Geo.
May I ask; if loading a GPX map route that's in another country, will it show up ok? Do you need to load a country map onto the Wahoo?

With my Komoot subscription I had worldwide coverage.

Thanks
Matt

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 06:11:11 pm »
It should be ok in different countries. You just need to load the relevant maps onto the app. The default for me in UK was all of Europe. I think it’s based on open street maps and doesn’t use much memory but of course doesn’t have OS level detail.

HugoC

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 09:12:43 pm »
My gps choice for touring is a Lezyne Mega XL. It's a bit clunky but the excellent battery life was the main attraction for me. This is a great feature if you're on a multi day tour without access to mains charging. I choose not to carry a power bank - my Son Dynamo is my back up power source if there's no charging facilities at overnight stops. You can preload the maps you need before you set off.

Cycle.travel is my preferred route planner. It currently does have worldwide cover but is perfect for the touring that I've done to date.

RonS

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 03:44:39 am »
 One of my “parting gifts” when I retired was a gift card to a local bike store. Like you, I was deciding whether or not to take the plunge on a dedicated GPS for touring. I decided to see how I got on with just my phone during my tour in Japan.

Like Matt, my iPhone was not a happy camper in the heat. Not only would the battery be in need of charging by lunch even when using Google Maps sparingly, but, the thermal limiter in the phone would prevent charging. I decided to take the plunge on a GPS, once the price was right.

I hung on to that gift card until the Boxing Day sales, and picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt V2.
I’m really not much good with tech gadgets, and only have used it so far for recording day rides. I’ll start cramming before I leave for Japan ( 5 weeks to go!), so, if you and Matt can wait until I return, I’ll be able to give you my thoughts.

Two things I noticed in the first week;
 The screen is small. Compared to my iPhone 12 the screen is about half the width and a third the height. There’s not much map showing. I’m OK with this because I would rather enjoy the scenery and just get a cue for turns. I see you are pondering the slightly larger Roam, which will be bigger, but still a lot smaller than a phone.
 Wahoo advertised the “updated” USB-C charging on the V2. This is misleading. The plug on the unit is USB-C, but, the only cord I have found to work is the USB to USB-C cord supplied with the unit. None of my USB-C to USB-C cords will charge the unit. In my view this is not an improvement. Most other rechargeable devices I will bring with me charge via Micro USB. Now I need yet another cord just for the GPS. Perhaps Wahoo will receive enough complaints to truly update this before you take the plunge.

Matt asked if you can upload a GPX route for different countries. When I figure out the process of importing files to the Wahoo, I’ll let you know. My tech savvy daughter will be visiting in two weeks. She can help the old man out. The Wahoo app has worldwide maps, so I’m thinking it’s not a problem. Oddly enough, my purchased in Canada unit came pre loaded with USA and Europe, but not Canada! Adding Canada and Japan was an easy job on the app, even for me.

I’ll try to remember to give a quick update during my trip, after I get more proficient at its use, with a more in depth update on my return.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 09:33:47 am »
One of my “parting gifts” when I retired was a gift card to a local bike store. Like you, I was deciding whether or not to take the plunge on a dedicated GPS for touring. I decided to see how I got on with just my phone during my tour in Japan.

Like Matt, my iPhone was not a happy camper in the heat. Not only would the battery be in need of charging by lunch even when using Google Maps sparingly, but, the thermal limiter in the phone would prevent charging. I decided to take the plunge on a GPS, once the price was right.

I hung on to that gift card until the Boxing Day sales, and picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt V2.
I’m really not much good with tech gadgets, and only have used it so far for recording day rides. I’ll start cramming before I leave for Japan ( 5 weeks to go!), so, if you and Matt can wait until I return, I’ll be able to give you my thoughts.

Two things I noticed in the first week;
 The screen is small. Compared to my iPhone 12 the screen is about half the width and a third the height. There’s not much map showing. I’m OK with this because I would rather enjoy the scenery and just get a cue for turns. I see you are pondering the slightly larger Roam, which will be bigger, but still a lot smaller than a phone.
 Wahoo advertised the “updated” USB-C charging on the V2. This is misleading. The plug on the unit is USB-C, but, the only cord I have found to work is the USB to USB-C cord supplied with the unit. None of my USB-C to USB-C cords will charge the unit. In my view this is not an improvement. Most other rechargeable devices I will bring with me charge via Micro USB. Now I need yet another cord just for the GPS. Perhaps Wahoo will receive enough complaints to truly update this before you take the plunge.

Matt asked if you can upload a GPX route for different countries. When I figure out the process of importing files to the Wahoo, I’ll let you know. My tech savvy daughter will be visiting in two weeks. She can help the old man out. The Wahoo app has worldwide maps, so I’m thinking it’s not a problem. Oddly enough, my purchased in Canada unit came pre loaded with USA and Europe, but not Canada! Adding Canada and Japan was an easy job on the app, even for me.

I’ll try to remember to give a quick update during my trip, after I get more proficient at its use, with a more in depth update on my return.

Many thanks. Your trip sounds fun. A second time there? Will you be keeping an on-line blog?
Looking forward to hearing form you again.
Matt

in4

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 11:38:07 am »
Perhaps creating routes via other apps might be worth exploring. I’ve created routes using Komoot and uploaded them to my Garmin quite easily. You’ll probably be able to do something similar with your Wahoo. My limited experience inclines me to think that some of the ‘suggested’ routes created are not always suitable for your riding style ie touring, road, training. For example a route I created for touring ( in Komoot) whilst in Portugal turned out to be quite nuts and wholly impractical; riding down 15thC cobbled and descending cart tracks besides an impressive castle. On a MTB fun, but on a loaded tourer, no.

Im sure you’ll find your Wahoo very helpful. A bit of real world common sense is very helpful too.
My better half will also confirm that, as for me, your grasp of ancient language both profound and highly indelicate will improve immeasurably 😉