Author Topic: Rohloff Temporary Loss of Gears  (Read 2454 times)

chipbury

Rohloff Temporary Loss of Gears
« on: October 07, 2022, 09:04:17 am »
Good Morning,

I'm new to the forum as I've recently bought a Mk3 Nomad with Rohloff.

This is my first Rohloff and so far have been pleased (i'm only up to @450-500 miles at the moment).

Something interesting happened the other day on my way home, on reaching the top of a steep hill i changed from 3 to 4 (off the power whilst changing) and I lost drive in gears 1-7, I had enough momentum to keep going and select 8 and upwards.  I then continued until the next hill (500m or so) where 1-7 were available again.

Is this a normal glitch or the early signs of a problem?

Cheers,

Chris

PH

Re: Rohloff Temporary Loss of Gears
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 10:28:48 am »
No, not normal, it's never happened to me. 
My first thought was that cable tension might cause it to not engage, I'd check they were not too tight.
Then I might try and replicate it on the workstand, or upside down if no stand available.  If I could get it to repeat - I'd remove the cable box and see if it engaged with a spanner - That narrows down the problem as being shifter or hub. A shifter problem is something you can probably diagnose and maybe fix yourself, anything within the hub would be a job for the professionals.
If you can't get it to repeat, I'd probably still disengage the cable box and check the smooth running of the cable and gear changes independently.
I have had a hub start skipping gears, though it's just been a single gear momentarily after a change, the issue was the pawl springs had become weak, a cheap and easy fix.  That was after about 12 years of daily use, I doubt it's the case with yours.

Welcome to the forum, lets see and hear more about your bike!

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 01:08:35 pm »
Was the bike brand new or just new to you? If it's brand new then it's reckoned that Rohloff hub gear shifting improve with age as the gears get polished through usage (you'll see the oil from the hub has a metallic glint when you change it). If the bike isn't brand new then it would be worth doing a precautionary oil change and if it is new then it would be prudent to check there's oil in the hub by drawing some off using the oil change kit and then squirting it back in.

chipbury

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 03:41:57 pm »
Thanks for the above replies.

I'm popping out to the pub soon and visiting my parents tomorrow so that will give me @90 miles to see if I can replicate the fault.

On Sunday i'll follow the advice to check cables etc. for smoothness and check for oil in the hub.

The bike/Rohloff are both new so it shouldn't be a wear issue.

The bike is a Mk3 Nomad, with flat bars, 700c wheels and hydraulic discs.  My last 4 aluminium frame bikes have all failed due to a crack between the top tube/seat post tube, so hopefully this bike will last!  The slightly comical thing is I had it a week in March and got flattened by a driver pulling out in front of me - I went into the side of the car and the down tube bent/rippled at the top.  Luckily their insurance footed the bill for a rebuild onto new frame/forks.  So it's triggers broom already!

Cheers

UKTony

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:04 pm »
On page 40 of  “Living with a Rohloff Hub“

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf

Andy Blance mentions that it is sometimes possible to select a ‘false neutral’. He says it’s happened to him about a dozen times in 120,000 km. I’ve no idea if temporarily losing all 7 lower gears is a symptom of selecting a false neutral. However, if it was me I’d immediately  seek advice from SJSCycles especially if it happens again  after carrying out the checks suggested above.

PH

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 04:04:14 pm »
The bike is a Mk3 Nomad, with flat bars, 700c wheels and hydraulic discs. 
All good choices, though I would say that  ;)
Chain or belt?
Look forward to the photos, hint, hint ;)

chipbury

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 11:51:35 am »
Well the 90 miles passed without incident.

Interestingly I met and cycled along with a bloke who had a Mercury Rohloff.  I originally wanted a Mercury but I was told no more were being made in my size (61L on the Nomad).  In hindsight I think I'm better off with the Nomad as i've got plenty strength in the frame with the same spec.

I checked over all the cable routing tightness etc. but apart from a slightly loose ferrule nothing suspicious.

Seeing as you asked nicely here's a photo of the bike:

PH

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 03:37:17 pm »
Well the 90 miles passed without incident.
Hopefully it was a one off and won't happen again.
Seeing as you asked nicely here's a photo of the bike:
Bike looks great, and nicely dirty.
I've ended up with a Mercury and Nomad, with lots of interchangeability.  It wasn't really the plan... They're both nice bikes,  I find he Mercury really excels on a specific sort of ride, sports touring.  I've not had the Nomad long enough to form a firm opinion, so far it feels like it'll take on any riding I'm likely to do, which the Mercury won't. The Nomad is obviously stiffer at the back and feels it, I see you have that taken care of with a Thudbuster.

steve216c

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 06:44:22 am »
Welcome to the forum Chris. Nice photos of your bike. Hope you weren’t injured when your frame got damaged in the incident you mentioned.

Given the dirt on your bike, you are likely not just a fair weather rider. You might want to consider getting a Hebie Chainglider while your running gear is still almost factory fresh. It will keep dirt and grime from chain and co., vastly increase intervals between needing to lubricate and should prolong service life of chain and cogs. It also keeps your right ankle from getting an involuntary chain tattoo once in a while  :o

I bought one 5000km into my ownership and regretted not adopting earlier after losing what felt like hours of my life constantly maintaining and cleaning my chain  especially as my all weather commute involved some forest tracks and not just road crud ending up on frame and running gear.

I’m currently 1100km into a brand new chain/sprocket combo on my bike and still running silently on the chain with its virgin factory lube still on it under my Chainglider. Rides have included several torrential rain showers, off road roads including muddy paths, and leaving my bike parked uncovered (except for my Brooks) in all weathers while at work. I have not needed to touch/clean the running gear in those 1100km as it is still running super smoothly.

I’m convinced this has to be one of the best complementary upgrades you can make to any fixed or IGH bike and one which pays you back in time saved on running maintenance you’ll no longer (or at least rarely) need to do. There are a few Hebie threads in the forum where you will find some members are not such fans as others of us. But many of us are convinced of the benefits with thousands of miles use to back up our experiences. I’ve run up around 10,000km with a Chainglider on, and am convinced this is one of the best purchases I ever made for my bike. Bad weather biking this Winter? I have my Chainglider on and my spikes ready to mount. Bring it on!

Steve

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:57:32 am by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

chipbury

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 05:44:22 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip on the chain protector, i'll do some research.

Cheers,

Chris