Author Topic: Nomad MK2 frame or frameset with S and S couplings 510M wanted in UK  (Read 3233 times)

Mark Manley

Does anyone have the above for 26" wheels, disc brake and hub gear compatible they wish to part with? Components are waiting and I hope to jet off somewhere for a tour this coming winter and try an alternative to my Roughstuff that requires a large box to fly it.

The cosmetic condition is not important even the odd small ding would be acceptable, there is one on Ebay at the moment but it is too big unfortunately.

Edited to correct size following post below.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:20:19 pm by Mark Manley »

spoof

Re: Nomad MK2 or 3 frame or frameset with S and S couplings 500S wanted in UK
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 09:06:13 pm »
Hi Mark,

Smallest frame size in the Nomad MK2 range was the 510M I believe. They did medium top tube and long top tube frames only for the MK2. Haven't checked MK3 geometry. The ebay Thorn S&S frame you might be referencing in size 512L is what I would call the 'Raven Nomad' that shared identical geometry sizing to that of the Thorn Raven Tour model.

Thorn do have some new old stock left available of MK2 S&S that I have linked below if within your budget, Thorns frame warranty likely included in the price too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/thorn-nomad-mk2-spluss-rohloff-expedition-frame-fork-set-satin-black-510m/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/0-thorn-nomad-mk2-frame-fork-set-stealth-black-510m/

Mark Manley

Re: Nomad MK2 or 3 frame or frameset with S and S couplings 500S wanted in UK
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 04:40:36 am »
Thanks for that, I had searched the SJS site but these did not come up or I missed them for some reason, that looks like my size and I will have a think about new, I ought to try one at some point if secondhand does not come up.

PH

Re: Nomad MK2 or 3 frame or frameset with S and S couplings 510M wanted in UK
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 12:54:24 pm »
Good luck in your search, but to narrow it down - If S&S couplings are a requirement there's no point searching for a MK3 as they are not an option. I'm not sure the reason, maybe tube size or geometry, whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's not even possible to retrofit.  I thought we had a thread where someone was asking why, but I can't find it.

Mark Manley

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 01:19:54 pm »
Again thanks for that piece of information, I will edit post to suit, I would like to try them and retro-fitting is expensive.

CycleTourer

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 09:32:53 pm »
If S&S couplings are a requirement there's no point searching for a MK3 as they are not an option. I'm not sure the reason, maybe tube size or geometry.

IIRC, when announcing the Mk3 Thorn said that so few customers had wanted S&S couplings that it wasn’t worth offering this new generation with couplings.